RECIPES: MY CREAMY CASHEW MYLK
To be super honest I've never been a milk drinker, even when I was little. When my siblings were having their glasses of milk with my Mama's homemade cinnamon buns fresh out of the oven, I opted for water or nothing at all. Milk never, ever interested me, and it still doesn't. I definitely dabbled in it during my infant + pre-pubescent years, as I did used to eat pizza, quesadilla's + cheesy things. My oh my have things changed, but I don't look back and wish I hadn't eaten it, it is what it is, and I'm so grateful for my ability to educate myself, and choose better options!
Fast forward to 2005 when I went full vegan for over eight years, then in 2012 found out I was actually allergic to both dairy (the protein found in dairy, casein) and eggs, and although I'm not vegan anymore (hello bone broth + some organic meat), I stay far away from dairy in all its forms. Although I did have a small stint last year of trying out Bulletproof coffee (Coffee + MCT Oil + Grassfed Butter)...and boy did my body tell me a big giant no. I had a giant acne breakout which lasted the whole summer last year.
Now my mylk of choice is nut / seed mylk, and more specifically cashew, while playing around with coconut, pumpkin and hazelnut. But cashew definitely takes the prize as my favourite. It's so darn creamy, flavourful, nutrient - dense (always choose raw + organic as cashews can be a little moldy), and versatile. I use it for almost everything! My favourites include: homemade superfood matcha lattes, super creamy smoothies, poured over a steamy bowl of GF oats + pumpkin seed butter, chia pudding in the summer, my adaptogenic super food potions, and I can just drink it plain if I need a little snack in the afternoon, or post workout if I don't have time to make a smoothie.
I'm honestly obsessed with it.
Making your own nut mylk can seem a little daunting, but once you get the hang of it, it honestly takes me under five minutes, and I'm totally not exaggerating. The key is a little prep, as the cashews (nuts of choice) should be soaked over night, but it you're in a pinch it's okay if they're not. Soaking simply helps to break down the nut, adds to the creaminess, and helps take off some of the outer skin/shells for more optimal digestion + nutrient break down.
Here's my recipe + step - by - step to make your own //
1. Soak 1.5 / 2 cups of organic nuts or seeds of choice overnight in bowl or blender
2. Drain the next day and give them a little rinse
3. Fill blender with water about 1/2 - 3/4 up the blender - I usually do 1/2 as I've add some nut mylk blending accidents int the past
4. Add in 2 Medjool dates + dash organic vanilla + pinch of sea salt
6. This is where I take my alkaline water and fill my blender cup up after blending, as if I added too much water to blend with it has the tendency to explode (it's happened a few times, and it's not fun!)
7. Take your nut mylk bag + a big bowl and pour the contents of the blender into the nut mylk bag and squeeze until you can't any further
8. Voila! You have your nut mylk. You can throw out the pulp or use in baking if you wish.
9. I then transfer it via a funnel into the bottle you see above.
10. This lasts me on average 4 days - sometimes less, sometimes more. I wouldn't keep it any longer than 5 days as it's so, so, so fresh and can go rancid even if it's kept air tight & in a glass container!
I know it seems like a lot of steps, but I promise once you get the hang of it, it's quicker and easier than buying it! So much more satisfying, and wayyyyyy more nutrient dense. The nut mylks you buy in store only have 3% of said nut and the rest is water + filler, and this has around 30-40%, sometimes even more!
Hopefully this inspires you to give it a go. Once you taste the difference, you won't be able to go back. It's a little more of an investment in time + money, but it's worth the extra dollars, every single time.
If you're looking to delve deeper into your body, mind and soul, while using nutrition, food as medicine, advisory into your true innate self, and to take your healing to the next level, I would love to be there for you, and look forward to connecting over a session. I know this time can be very difficult to navigate, and I would be so honoured to be here for you. Ultimately we work with your bodies innate healing tools, and you're guided to a optimal state of existence, in body and mind.
If you're uncertain what I'm about, you can see my book here! It's a intro into who I am, my healing journey, and how I practice.