HOLISTIC NUTRITION: DEEP SELF + SEXUAL LOVE
D E E P
I sat down not really knowing what to write, so when this happens I sit, think, meditate and try to let something come to me as I never want to write just to post.
So what kept on coming up for me? Sexuality, self love, feeling confident in your own skin and how to enhance this sexuality.
With February on the way, thee Love month, what better time to express, share, and integrate some of these practices into your life. Ultimately love for oneself, the love you have for You is the most important relationship you will ever have. If you don't love yourself, you can't love others.
I'm going to get really honest with you here. When I was healing with Lyme the last thing that I felt was confident, sexy or attractive. I don't mean this on the surface level of outwards appearances (although my acne, weight gain, and hair loss didn't help), but how my soul and spirit were feeling, where I believe all of this is rooted in.
We are all beautiful beings, who possess the right to be able to be their best selves. To feel confident, healthy and loved. Sexual health and expression and all that it encompasses embodies holistic health and is a part of a healthy body and mind. Why? because all of this is controlled by our endocrine system, and our beautiful and lovely hormones, when they are in balance that is. Our hormones dictate almost everything in our body, so when they are out of balance so are we. Raging PMS, terrible mood swings, fatigue, depression, exhaustion, thyroid troubles, hair loss, weight gain, dull skin, acne, uncontrollable appetite, bloating, disruptive sleep, anxiety, and one big ticket symptom here loss of libido. These are just a handful of symptoms that arise from unbalanced hormones! When you think of all of these, and if you suffer from 1, 2, 3 or maybe more than it's extremely hard to muster up inner confidence, feel at peace with your body, feel like your authentic self and lets not even mention libido and feeling sexy.
When I was going through my healing journey with Lyme Disease, I had all of the above symptoms and more if you can believe it. I felt like my body wasn't mine, and was extremely disassociated from it. I felt like a turtle going through life, slow, and steady with a very hard shell, only popping my head out when I had to, or felt like it. I could not be bothered to practice any sort of self love, because to be perfectly honest I didn't love myself. Often echoed by my family ' where did the Lisa we know go?' I never had an answer... I had no idea. This was all before I found out about my official diagnosis, and where so. much. healing came. To be super honest, this is why I can truly understand and emphasize with my clients, I've been there, I get it, I know how hard it is, every step, and it's my mission to guide / help / coach / advise them through it. Sometimes this means helping them build their self-love up enough to see they are worthy enough to heal from anything, for without that mindfulness, self-worth, and love it's very hard to do the things necessary to start healing the body.
For my own healing, I literally had to work on turning myself in a self-loving machine through my own practices, exercises, and innate / inner healing. It took a lot of work, practice, unblocking, stepping into my authentic self and letting go of things / people that weren't serving me anymore. Not in a selfish way, and not from ego. From a very deep place, that I knew had to be healed. It all came down to thoughts, beliefs, patterns, actions, daily habits, environments, relationships, ultimately what I was choosing to put into my body, and mind (Key).
All of this to say, no matter where you're at on this journey you can get to where you want to be, and be who you want to be. This I will never stop believing, living, and telling anyone I meet who will listen. You can heal, no matter what. Sometimes things will come naturally, other times it will take a lot of work. But it's worth every second, and patience will be your best friend.
So here are a few tricks, tips, practices that will help ignite your self love muscle, your libido, and your inner confidence, which will allow your authentic sexual + healing self to flourish, and thrive.
Note: This does not just pertain to being in a relationship or marriage. You can be an extremely sexual single individual, and quite frankly, I think this is best to cultivate when you are single, so when you find your match, you've done the work and stepped into your power. When you radiate that light from within, things will start to change quite quickly.
1. Develop your own self love ritual: Light candles, put on music, get naked, dance around, dry body brush your entire body getting to know it better, and then hop in a bath with copious amounts of epsom salts, coconut oil and essential oil. Ylang ylang and neroli are known to be quite erotic, sensual and promote feelings of bliss. Do not bring your phone in there, or even a book. Be completely silent, soak up the moment, and allow yourself to just be. You will not get out of that bath feeling anything less than a goddess. And if you want to self-pleasure, go down that route too. There is no stigma for knowing and loving Your body. Ultimately it's the only thing you will ever own. Ever.
2. Ambiance: Light candles, get a Himalayan salt lamp and ditch the light bulbs. When is overhead lighting ever sexy? The soft flicker of candles gives off the right amount of light, and a Himalayan salt lamp increases positive ions in the air which raises serotonin levels, which creates a calm and peaceful environment.
3. Get to know your own body: Now let your imagine go with this one! This can mean many things. But our society today is so disconnected with our own bodies. We are constantly clothed, shy away from exposing skin, are only naked in the shower, and rush to put on clothes. Don't even start with looking at your naked body in the mirror! If you do, usually this is met with unfriendly thoughts. This must change, and if you work with me, I do get it to change.
Get to know your body, love your body - tell it you love it, massage your body with coconut oil, dry body brush it (which improves lymph fluid, blood flow, and gets things going...), scrub your naked body in the shower. Feel it, touch it, and love it. We only get one body, so we may as well love it. We have to start thanking it for doing so much for us, day in and day out. We expect a lot out of our bodies, so we must be conscious about giving back to it.
4. Sleep naked: This doesn't need a lot of explanation. If you don't, or never have, commit to trying or changing this. Hopefully not TMI but I do sleep naked and it is so freeing. We are constantly bound by clothes, underwear, bras, sports bras, leggings, socks...not to mention fall and winter in full swing. We are bound by multiple layers! When we go to sleep it is the one time we can fully let go, and allow our bodies to heal, rejuvenate, replenish, and be free. I highly encourage this practice. It further allows for more intimate moments between you and your partner. Skin upon skin is one of the most healing things on the planet. Embrace this, embrace your and your partners body.
5. Ladies wear lingerie once and awhile: What we wear directly affects our mood and overall mind-body psyche. It’s not always just what we put in our bodies that makes us feel sexy, but it’s also about what we put on them. Maybe it’s a lil’ lingerie, or maybe it’s your favourite old hole-y band tee. Whatever something slinky and seductive feels like for you, put it on to rekindle some confidence in your own skin before you even think about letting him in. You work hard to keep that body healthy, now go put something on it that’s going to get him excited for what’s underneath. Or simply do it for You. Wear a matching bra and thong underneath your daily attire. Say yes to lace, and don't think for a second you need a partner to feel sexy.
6. Music: Download some Marvin Gaye, Ben Howard, Drake, The Weekend, James Vincent McMorrow Party Next Door, Miguel let the vibrations soothe your soul. Music can instantly relive stress and anxiety. Be carried away with the words, melody, and feelings they evoke in you. Music is pure sexiness, as it allows us to get in the flow and rhythm of the way nature intended our bodies to move. Free, flowing, and without fear.
7. Exercise, move, sweat: We all know that exercise releases mood enhancing endorphins. Sometimes it is hard to get to a workout, or muster up the motivation to do so, but after THAT feeling. It's euphoric. When we move our bodies through exercise in any shape or form we are also committing ourselves to a self love practice. It is good to set goals, reach for something, and work towards living in our best bodies. Whatever this means to you. This doesn't have to relate to how you look, but more so how you feel. When you work hard, set goals and achieve them it's very empowering. It's further empowering to be strong, confident and feel good.... this confidence is carried through all of your relationships, especially with your partner. Who doesn't want to feel sexy?
8. You are what you eat: Last but not least! My favourite topic. What you eat can either make or break you. Generally speaking what you put in your mouth makes up your cells. Your cells in turn dictate how you function, perform, look and feel. Your cells, organs and brain are everything! If you aren't feeding it properly, you will not look or feel your best. Want to rev up your hormones, libido and inner glow? Feed yourself copious amounts of healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil, and moderate amounts of nuts and seeds), brain loving omegas ( wild salmon, chia seeds), sexy greens (leafy greens, asparagus, cucumbers), superfoods ( Hi Maca, you're definitely our bodies libidos friend).
Do you love yourself? Do you feel sexy (not related to sex in itself, but more of a force) ?
If not, why?
Is there something out of balance that is preventing you from stepping into your authentic self. Body, mind and Soul?
If you're looking to delve deeper into your body, mind and soul, while using nutrition, food as medicine, reprogramming your mindset, advisory into your true innate self, and to take your healing to the next level, I would love to be there for you, and look forward to connecting over a session.
If you're uncertain what I'm about, you can purchase my book here - which is the perfect first step in us working together.