HEALING: TAPPING OUT, TO TUNE BACK IN
TAP OUT, TO TUNE IN
What happens when we tap out? Are there different ways to do so for all us? What fears arise? Is FOMO real? Something I've been exploring this Summer as I take flight, and bounce around, more than I have in over 13 years.
While the fear of missing out is really rare for me (not extinct, but because I'm just one happy clam to not be somewhere + be doing something I'm not totally in to, I definitely have clear personal boundaries) but, I do have real fears around tapping out. Not for daily meditations, or alone time during the week or weekends, but taking more than a week off, even two off, or heck even three days (Like my recent bachelorette) .
This came up for me prior to my first break / holiday / vacation since going full time with LIFEBYLEESE. It's only been six months that I've been flying solo with my practice, and projects, so the fear that everything would disappear, clients would drop away, and things would flounder were real, even though they were so not true. They came up, so I dug deep into the reasons why. And ultimately came up with 1) The Source - which goes back to my fear of not doing what I was put on this earth to do + not having the freedom I so desire in my job / career which ultimately leads to how I want to parent - So if I stepped away from my practice, so would people, and therefore I would end up broke, and not living my purpose ( Might sound a little overboard, but it was a true fear, and if we can't find the root, it's really hard to re-align + shift and 2) Tapping out - Why is it so hard for us to tap out, knowing that it will serve us that much more? And how we MUST tap out, to tune in, and to ultimately heal from anything.
What comes through when things are noisy, you're hyper busy, you're doing a million things, your checking off all the to-do's, and you're just motoring through it all. Not a whole lot! At least not for me. 100% my meditation, baths, and alone time (which is critical for me) This usually leaves us uninspired, tired, in the mindset of lack, or even resenting tasks, jobs, and things that usually bring us joy. Burn out, feeling zapped, stressed, pushing cortisol out hard (sympathetic dominant - which most of us operate from 24 hours a day, even when sleeping which is nuts - it's why you can wake up between 2-3AM -blood sugar + too much cortisol).
So why aren't we tapping out, and why is it a struggle?
And what happened if we tapped out, to tune in, and we only grew stronger, healed deeper, gained more inspiration, got more clarity, sunk into our parasympathetic fully - not just for 20 minutes, and learned to see the value in letting go, tuning in, going on airplane mode, not reading emails if you're not responding / have a auto-responder on (GUILTY, but learning + being better each time). I've really come to believe that to tune in, we must tap out. Fully. This is where the magic happens, this is where restoration begins, this is where fresh ideas come, clarity blossoms, joy blooms, and it sounds weird but where you're business can even grow! You're more inspired, refreshed, rejuvenated, and just plain old happy that your business flourishes in ways you didn't even know possible. Sometimes we're so obsessed + committed + love our work so much (GUILTY again, but this isn't so bad :) ) that we can loose site of things, and just go a little off-track, or lose site of the Why, or think we're doing something that's serving our clients / patients + us + our business, but in reality it's not. We've just been on auto-pilot, or doing something because we've been doing it for years, and it's just safe.
So how can we navigate this, as I feel like it's getting a lot worse, and while I can't speak for everyone, or even you, I can see it in my practice as more of my clients / women are suffering from anxiety, depression, auto-immune, gut issues (huge), skin issues, and just all over un-wellness.
When we're constantly running in our sympathetic, which again is most of us, we can't heal, it's as if our body doesn't allow it. We must be in our parasympathetic to heal, from anything, on every level. It's not just a musing, it's a fact. OUR BODY SEES STRESS (FROM A OVER BURDENED INBOX TO HOLDING A GRUDGE) AS DANGER AND THEREFORE SHUTS OFF OUR DIGESTION, IMMUNITY, DETOXIFICATION, AS ALL ENERGY GOES TO KEEPING YOU SAFE + ADRENAL HORMONES ARE PUMPED INTO YOUR BLOOD STREAM.
It's why you can go on holiday, your symptoms disappear, but when you come back, poof, so do your symptoms. While we can't run away from stress, we can learn, shift, and grow our relationship with it. We can start to tap into what our body needs, when, and how, and be 100% okay with it. No fear or guilt attached to it. Why should we feel guilty for taking a break, or tapping out? We do, and I want to help you tap back in, and not just this summer, on vacation, or in your down time, because all of those are great, but day-to-day or mindful awareness into our Selves, is the greatest gifts we can give ourselves.
Here are a few things I've learned + are implementing as I navigate this Summer /
1. Airplane mode or better yet hide your phone for a day or part of the day - What I'm doing now instead of posting in the moment sometimes (it's still a balance for me depending where I am + how I'm feeling that moment) is just shooting when I feel like it, save it, and then post it when I turn my phone back on / feel like posting. We're so darn connected, and I'm learning that there doesn't have to be a immediate nature to anything when it comes to social media.
2. Navigating your mind + mental space with the idea of switching off / tapping out - What comes up with you when you think of this? Do you struggle with dis-connecting? Do you check your phone before getting out of bed? Why and what Fears come up for you? I did a lot of this work, and through it I'm discovering the deeper core of it all
3. If you need boundaries, give yourself a time limit - If you're on holiday, or not, set yourself a time limit of how much phone time you have. Sounds extreme, and might not work for everyone, but it can work for some as they like more clear cut boundaries.
4. Tap into things that bring you Joy - When you're in a state of joy, you sink into your parasymp - system, so you're less likely to go on overdrive, and pump your adrenaline + cortisol through your blood, which is what we want less of
5. Source - Where does this source stem from? If you have a fear, try to dig into the Why's behind it. Is there a deep sense of longing to be seen? Do you have a childhood memory that created a traumatic response so you use social media as a tool for filling a void? Is there a deeper addiction? Do you gain something by comparing or being stimulated? Do you desire to make money from your social media? Get honest, get truthful, and get real. I say WHY a million times when working with clients, because I'm constantly + always trying to find the root of the symptom, belief, illness, block and / or trauma. There is always a reason Why.
6. Books, books, and more books - I believe they hold so much wisdom, but we're spending less, and less time reading, and more time scrolling. Can you set yourself a goal for the rest of summer - these next two months? Choose two books these next few days, and get reading. You will be so surprised what comes to you when you dig deeper into learning, growing, yourself, and turning off the dopamine / adrenaline hit that comes with our phones.
Let's do some work!
1. Some of the questions above!
2. What do you need to feel like you're tapping out?
3. Is it hard for your to fully tap out?
4. What fears come up?
5. Is it preventing you from feeling your best?
HEALING DEEPER. I WORK PRIVATELY 1-1 IN MY PRACTICE, VIA IN PERSON SESSIONS + VIA SKYPE.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO DELVE DEEPER INTO YOUR BODY, MIND AND SOUL, WHILE USING NUTRITION, FOOD AS MEDICINE, REPROGRAMMING YOUR MINDSET, ADVISORY INTO YOUR TRUE INNATE SELF, AND TO TAKE YOUR HEALING TO THE NEXT LEVEL, I WOULD LOVE TO BE THERE FOR YOU. LET'S CONNECT.