HEALING: WELCOMING IN THE FALL SEASON + TAKING ACTION TO STEP INTO OUR BEST SELF
TIME TO GROUND IN
This Weekend marks a shift, a change in seasons, the letting go of what was, embracing the now, this moment and what will be for the next six months. It’s actually falling on our Wedding Day - which is very special as we’re getting married very intimately in a National Park here in Ontario, so the Fall vibes will be a very big part of our day.
I simply adore the change of summer to Fall, as I've always felt comfort in cooler temperatures (I was born in the Fall, and my Pitta nature simply craves cool often), the crispness in the air and the 'slower' pace of the universe. Fall has a more 'yin' energy to it, where it allows people to refocus, realign and set intentions for the upcoming year. I find it even more energizing and inspiring than the first day of the year.
If the term Fall Equinox is completely foreign, here’s a few facts to be aware of:
It always occurs on September 22, 23 ,or 24th.
The sun shines directly on the equator making day & night equal all over the world (or almost equal).
The sun enters Libra during this time which is symbolized by balanced scales
Fall Equinox is the point of balance between Summer & Winter Solstices which are the longest and shortest days of the year - such beautiful harmony + symbolize regarding embracing the Present moment, as it’s truly all we have, and I believe where healing exists.
With the coming days shifting from light to dark, the Fall Equinox is the perfect opportunity for reflection and introspection. It’s a time to draw inward, dive deep into yourself, and refocus on what’s important and meaningful.
Here are a few activities to help cultivate a sense of awareness, focus, and most importantly – balance.
REFLECTION + INTROSPECTION :
Today or use the rest of the next week and weekend to reflect on the questions below. Grab a journal, a cup of tea and not only reflect, but manifest what you want to see these next six months.
What have you achieved this year?
What positive seeds have you harvested?
What negative seeds have you harvested?
Why have you been successful in some areas and not others?
What can you do differently for the future?
Who has helped you achieve your goals this past year?
How can you thank these people?
What areas of your life need more balance?
How can you transition to a lifestyle of balance?
What are your dreams, goals, and aspirations for the coming new year?
What do you want to let go of? These could be serving you or not.
What is your essence at the moment, and how are you nurturing / feeding (physically + energetically) this beautiful soul within yourself?
MEDITATIONS + INTENTIONS:
Wake up fifteen to twenty minutes early a few times a week to meditate /journal/reflect on the above - What is it that you want for the year ahead? And I mean truly want, we have the power to manifest and play out our dreams.
Commit to journaling daily. This could mean five minutes in the morning and five at night, or carving out a time on the weekend to reflect, sit down with your goals, and slowly start your plan of action
If you don't meditate, how about trying to just sit for ten minutes every day - you don't have to follow any rules, just see what comes up! It’s cheesy, but this quote often pops into my head when I hear people say they don’t have time "If you don’t have 10 minutes for yourself, you don’t have a life" - Tony Robbins
Manifestation, meditation, and priming yourself are all wonderful, but how do these unfold into ACTION, what are the steps you're going to take? How do your days look, who is around you, what are you doing day in and day out to get you to where you want to be, or the person you know you can be?
Words, thoughts, journaling, and affirmations are powerful, but what are they without action?
I encourage each and every one of you to follow through on one dream, goal and aspiration for the upcoming season - What does it look like and what are the steps you can start taking now to get you there.... That is the beauty of it all, we don't just wake up one morning and 'poof' everything is before us, it's those small, minuscule steps, actions that allow you to take the biggest leaps.
I’m off on my Wedding + Honeymoon break for over twenty days, so I think I’ve left you with enough work to dig in.
This is constantly a big theme I’ve witnessed through my practice and experiences. We all want X,YZ or to grow ourselves in some manner, to heal, to achieve our dreams / purpose, but we’re stuck, don’t take the next step, or continue to play the same internal tape (wiring in your brain) while expecting different results.
To get someplace unknown we have to awaken to possibility, and the only way to do this is to get out of the unknown - the same environments, patterns, actions, habits, and thoughts.
On a different note here are some of my Fall Shifts //
1. Leather jackets and fall sweaters. I adore slipping on a pair of jeans, either a loose T or tank and tossing on my leather jacket, a chunky knit, grabbing a book & paper and hitting our local cafe with the crisp breeze caressing my face
2. Tea. I do still drink tea in the summer, but rarely find myself having a cup of tea before bed. Now with the cooler temps I pine to come in from the cold, brew a cup of tea, cuddle, read, and chat the night away
3. Hot baths. Again I still bathe all the time in the summer, but they are of short duration, not as hot, and not as frequent as in the cooler months. I could stay in the bath for a very long time with candles, epsom salts, coconut oil and essential oils. This is heaven to me, and place where I find peace and disconnection
4. Better sleeps. I sleep much better when it's cooler! We do have central air in our place, but it's not always on, and I find the comforter much more comforting in fall & winter
5. Soups, curries, roasted veggies. Soups and curries do not make the cut in the summer! I very rarely cook soups, or really warm dishes during the hot summer nights. I naturally crave salads, cold foods, raw veggies and lightly steamed veggies and fish
6. Devouring more books. So the thing is I really love to read, but I can find myself too distracted by writing and researching on my computer, and too much screen time. The cooler seasons allow for more book time. I'm really looking forward to this and am making a conscious effort to dive into more and different literature. Further I usually stick to books where I 'have' to learn something, instead of sometimes just reading fiction for the beauty of it. I have a couple on my list that I want to read this winter
7. Switching up my skincare routine. I will always have my mainstays that remain constant regardless of the season such as my rosewater spray. Things I do switch up are adding more natural oils to my regime, more facial massage, hydrating masks, eye cream, and more exfoliation (caution: find what works best for you and exfoliation. My skin handles it very well and I can do it every second to third day, while some can only handle once a week exfoliation), do not over exfoliate, it can lead to harming your skins microbiome + lipid barrier
8. Hot Yoga. This is bliss to me! Wake up before the sun, stumbling to get my yoga clothes on, bundling up and walking to the yoga studio near by. Relishing in the warm studio, the vibrating energy, the movement, the music. I love it all. I've committed to incorporate hot yoga at least a few times a month
9. Dinner Parties. Something about the fall welcomes more nights in, and with that more dinner parties! I love hostessing such events. Nothing beats wholesome food, good friends, laughs, music and love
10. Change of produce. Hello root veggies, less fruit ( I tend to go overboard during the summer months, for real), roasted veggies in coconut oil, soups with a whole different host of veggies, and simply more comforts, seasonal produce. I also indulge in a tad more raw chocolate come this season. It's so nourishing, warming and soulful
11. Being in the now. We cannot change the weather, the shift of seasons and the change that takes place around us. But we can shift our perspective, attitude and how we treat ourselves and others. Being in the now, not worrying about yesterday or what tomorrow holds but simply enjoying all that you have in this moment! It's all we have and all we can do to move forward. The shift of seasons is the perfect time to ground, manifest, journal and get back into the practices you have maybe let slide this summer season. It's about loving everything and everyone.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO HEAL ON A DEEPER LEVEL. I WORK PRIVATELY 1-1 IN MY PRACTICE, VIA IN PERSON SESSIONS (TORONTO) + VIA SKYPE. LET'S CONNECT - I WOULD BE HONOURED TO WORK WITH YOU ON ANY LEVEL YOU SO DESIRE + RESONATE WITH.