NATURAL BEAUTY: HOW DO YOU *REALLY* TREAT YOUR SKIN? MY TIPS ON HOW TO SOFTEN YOUR APPROACH
February can be a harsh month on our skin + Self - the dry air, chilling wind, and a shorter month that is often seen as “blah” for most - but it doesn’t have to be that way. I firmly believe in creating our own reality, body, skin, health, etc… etc… but it takes work!
When our skin takes a beating, it's often two fold - What we learned growing up + the actions we continue to make today, outside our family household. We grew up with a disconnection from Self, Our Bodies, and all that lie within, because it's not something we learned in school, or from our parents. It's not our parents fault, as most of them trusted the school / education system to teach us what we know, but man oh man reflecting back on health class, we weren't taught any real world application to how our bodies exist in our environments, and how our living and breathing organs need to be taken care of to thrive, achieve our dreams, and live in our most optimal states. While I know this state doesn't appeal to everyone - as it most certainly comes with more Work, the abundance it gives back is absolute ten fold.
On the other hand we make choices, and take action on a moment to moment basis. If we can do damage, you better believe we can heal on just the same level.
We're pessimistic by human / primal nature, for we're survival based humans. It's my mission to turn this around, as optimism is super essential on any journey. It's not about rainbows and sunshine all the time, but it's about seeing and know the Truth.
The authentic nature of your true essence + the Power that you possess within yourself - to either heal or stay stagnant.
Okay, back to skin as there is a lot to unpack there! I often take things Deep - as I believe this is where the magic and healing lie. I've found anything else to be unsustainable.
Ultimately our skin is seen, treated, and taken care of like it's a separate entity from our bodies. We scrub it harshly, wash it too much, expose it to harsh chemicals, take medications in the efforts to make it do what we want, beat it down with hot water from the shower, pull at it, pick it, say nasty things to it, obsessed over how it looks, squeeze pimples in an effort to get it out - when it's only trying to say - " I need help - look within".
Don't get me wrong I've been there, multiple times. When I had acne I was trying every harsh product to rid myself of it all, scrubbed it, did detrimental DIY's, did too much, picked and popped, tried SO many things externally to “fix it”, examined my skin like I was a pirate searching for treasure... the list goes on, so I understand where you're coming from on every single level. I believe I've gone through my journey to help spread light from my learnings, and experiences. It was a bumpy road to say the least, (physically + mentally) so I want to bring to light a different way to reframe looking at your skin, and ultimately treating it.
I want to bring some light to some things you might be doing that could be negatively effecting your largest organ, Your Skin + some of my tips to remind you to treat your skin like it's connected to every blood vessel, lymph node, digestive enzyme, and Self. Not just your physical self - But your mental, emotional and energetic body! (The bodies that I believe are so, so, so important in healing anything, not just our skin. EVERY single illness on this earth has a emotional / energetic component to it).
What we put on, seeps in. On a deeper level - Skin is the window to our internal Self (All the bodies! Not just physical!), and it reflects back everything.
How many of these do you see yourself adopting?
HOW CAN WE BRING MINDFUL AWARENESS TO DAILY ACTIONS, STEPS, HABITS, PATTERNS? ONE STEP AT A TIME. DIG DEEPER TO ANSWER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS:
1. Using too many harsh products - Take a peek into your bathroom and have a little read of your beauty / skin products ingredients list. Can you pronounce them + do you know what you're topically putting onto your skin, and hence into your body? This isn't to pass judgement, as we don't know what we don't know. This is to bring awareness to what you're doing on a daily basis. We can't change what we don't know, and the only way change happens is by taking things one step at a time! It's the only way. No one got to where they are without putting one foot in front of the other
2. Using hot water on your skin/body in the shower - Super hot showers can be detrimental for skin as it's so, so, so stripping. This is especially true if you suffer from any sort of skin based inflammatory responses, so be mindful as to the temperature of your water
3. Sleep material - What are your pillow cases made of? Think of how much time we spend sleeping and in bed! It's our haven, and the one place where our body truly takes healing, rejuvenation, and repair to the next level. Think of your face hitting the pillow every single night. Is your pillow case breathable? Does it have synthetics in it? Do you wash it on a regular basis (I recommend 2 x per week!)
4. Living in the past - Have you been using a product since your childhood because it served you back them? It's linked to nostalgia? You're apprehensive to change it because your skin is so used to it (even if it's not serving you) - Start to evaluate the Why behind it
5. Exfoliation - While a little is amazing, and necessary, especially with the shift on season. Too much, the wrong kind, and too harshly will cause you more anguish, inflammatory responses + break outs
6. Product hopping - Going from one thing to another without establishing some form of routine + ritual. Your skin will rebel as it's not meant to be bombarded with new things all the time, especially if you're prone to breakouts, or have sensitive skin. Treat your skin like you would a new relationship - things need take time to integrate and flourish. Nothing is built without a foundation. We're too often swayed by what we see in magazines, media, influencers, celebrities - establishing your own routine will be 100% more beneficial than adopting someone else's skin routine, or trying the next new product
7. Picking and popping - How often do you pick or pop your skin? Do you regret it every single time you do it? (I know I did, and if I still get the urge today, and don't listen... I regret it every. single. time) How + why are you touching your skin. Lean into this question, and be honest with yourself
8. Pretending like it doesn't matter - While we don't have to be obsessive about it, we have to start becoming mindful about our skin, and what we put on it as the toxins were faced with today (77,000 man made chemicals) are causing major illnesses in our body!
This isn't to scare or alarm you, or anything of that nature, but it's to instill hope, as moment to moment we have the conscious choice to choose differently.
The rise in auto-immune, cancer, mood disorders, infertility, gut dysbiosis (imbalance of your good / bad gut bacteria) skin diseases have one contributing factor - Toxins.
Our body 10000% does not recognize what we're putting in it - so we can't continue to expect our bodies to know what to do with it. Questions to gently reflect on, again this isn't saying it's bad, your bad, etc... It's simply getting you to question, as without deeper investigation it's hard to elicit change, and action. If we know Why things aren't serving us or are causing us to not feel Well, we're more inclined to change.
Start here: Why doesn't it matter? Is staying the same serving you or your family? Why are you so conscious with other things (your house, car, clothes, travel, etc...) but when it comes to your body you rather not look within + spend time giving it only the best of the best! A topic for another day as this goes deep. We can only come from where we are, so it's not about us or them, me or you, it's about You - that's what I care about. My only wish, hope and goal is for you to care about Yourself just as much as I do. I dig deep, as we're creatures of habit - we don't change unless we have to, until something wakes us up, I don't want you to get to the point. We have the power to change Now.
WHAT ARE SOME SIMPLE TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU TO TIP THE SCALE ON THE OTHER END. HOW CAN YOU START TO IMPLEMENT HIGHLY SIMPLY SUGGESTIONS INTO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE TO NURTURE YOUR SKIN + SELF and nurture your innate glow
1. Treat your skin like a silk scarf - Our skin is delicate, it doesn't need to be pulled, tugged at, or scrubbed at
2. Start to take inventory of your products - What's in them, does your skin even like them, are they truly nourishing your skin, are you seeing results? Can you pronounce the ingredients? How many products are you using? Do they bring you joy?
3. Don't use something because you've always used it - What worked for you 10, 5, or even 2 years ago most likely isn't serving you now. Our skin, body, and all of it's cells replicate by the millions on the second to second basis. What you served you back then, is most likely not serving you now
4. Simple, simple, simple - Routines and rituals do not have to be complicated! This is a personal and individualized quest, as I believe it differs for everyone. I love skin so, so, so much so I might have or do a few more things than the next person (i.e. masking, massaging, gua sha, lymph drainage....), while someone else wants 3 solid natural green products that will do the job! We must find our personal balance, as I truly believe if it doesn't resonate with us on a deep level we won't do it, and therefore we won't see the results we want
5. Don't pop or pick - I have lots to say about this, but I wrote a in depth post about my history with it, and some tips on what to do! I always just say your hands aren't meant to be on your face. They are so bacteria laden (think of allll the things you touch daily), so they're not something you want on your face - to make it easy for me I have a hands off policy unless I'm cleansing / massaging / moisturizing / masking - that's it
6. Water temperatures - Have warm or even cold showers - I know this is a hard one to get used to - or do hot / cold showers so it's healing on a deeper, another level. Hot water - especially hot tap water can do damage to our skin and it's microbiome. Make sure to look into filters for your shower + bath, and try to avoid having hot showers on the daily
7. Going deep - Begin to connect yourself with your body - with your skin, yes - but on a deeper more intimate level. Are you happy in it? How does it serve you? Are you not feeling like your essence / true self? Are you in a lower energy state? Are you overwhelmed with all the things? Start to tap into this energy, into a new energy... this is Your ultimate healing journey. It won't happen overnight, and it won't be easy, but I believe it to be the most intimate, beautiful, and fulfilling relationship you will ever have. One with Self, is where the most miracles live. It's where pure and utter joy exist, as when we're happy with Self, everything else floats away.
For me - this is daily work! NO ONE GETS A FREE HALL PASS - IF YOU’RE WORKING WITH A PRACTITIONER WHO DOESN’T SEE OTHER ‘HEALERS’ / PEOPLE ON THEIR OWN JOURNEY, RUN! NO ONE IS AT A POINT OF “I’VE GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT, NO ONE.
Again it doesn't come naturally, and it's not easy. I'm not some enlightened being who was born with it, but one who cares deeply, deeply, deeply for myself and the greater planet. We were born into this world, whole, pure and authentic, and we can tap into that energy on the daily. I believe we all have very special gifts, and the more we tap in with Self, the more we can share these beautiful gifts with others, and the greater world. I'm on the journey, and boyyyyyy it's not easy, but I wouldn't have it any other way (Also know this journey isn't meant to be walked alone, so seek help / guidance / support when and if needed.)
8. Love, relax, step into joy, and trust - We can do so much, and we put so much pressure on ourselves. A LOT. More then the Universe / World / Others demand of us. Our skin will heal, it will. It will take time, energy, and work ( different for us all!). Of course we need to nurture, and nourish it, implement a healing routine that suits our needs, But on the flip side...
We must take a step back, laugh, play, let go, trust and know we're on a journey. It doesn't have to be so serious! Yes of course we want to be our best selves, but we can also play along the way. As much as I go deep, and dig deep as it's where I believe healing and answers lie, I practice deep joy, gratitude, and playfulness along the way.
There never needs to be a reason to be happy, and in complete pleasure + Joy. This state comes from being in our authentic self, exactly where we are in this moment... It's about walking the journey with this lightness, as it doesn't have to be so heavy. I've walked the heavy, dark, lonely journey before, and I won't ever go back, as I've learned to much. I've learned that despite it all the Universe always as our back, we can heal from anything, that the trust muscle needs to be flexed (it's an active action, not inactive), and that a true Glow always radiates from within.
IF LOOKING TO DEEPEN YOUR HEALING, SELF, AND POWER…I WORK WITH CLIENTS ALL OVER THE WORLD IN MY 1-1 DEEP HEALING SESSIONS. CONNECT WITH ME HERE FOR DEEPER CONVERSATIONS + SUPPORT + GUIDANCE + TAPPING INTO YOUR BODIES INNATE HEALING MECHANISMS