GLOW: BACK TO BASICS WITH MY SKIN 101'S
It's no secret that I love skin, and all that lies beneath. I find complete joy in researching new natural products, that are not only nourishing, but effective. Although when it comes down to the Epidermis (outer most layer) which provides your skins barrier and tone, the Dermis which houses your sweat glands and hair follicles and the Hypodermis which is made up of fat and connective tissue, it's usually the simplest of things that will take your skin from BLAH, to glow city.
I've tried many, many, many products and have spend thousands of dollars trying to find what is right for my skin type, and to be honest I don't believe I'm 100% there yet. When I developed cystic acne, from the Lyme and my hormonal imbalance, I would research products and the skin into the wee hours of the night. It took such a tole on my body and mind, and that stress definitely exacerbated my skins healing abilities. So no matter what I put onto my skin, the stress, lack of sleep and all over distraught made everything a million times worse. I'm sure you guys know what I'm speaking about! It's a bad cycle, and it's very hard to break. Very hard. Products can only do. so. much.
Even though I tailor my clients protocol, products, food and lifestyle practices that work for their individual body and skin, these 'Skin 101' points will highlight some of the most basic points that will be the foundation for all of the above. Master these, then lets focus on the products that are right for you.
These can sometimes have the most difference in your skins appearance if truly embraced. I not only believe in prevention, but aging gracefully and naturally through food, lifestyle and some products to help along the way! But without these, my skin definitely gets off track.
- No Foaming Cleansers - It doesn't matter if your skin is super oily like mine, foaming cleansers strip your skin of the essential oils that your skin needs to prevent breakouts and from completely drying out (remember: dry skin = wrinkles!). Most people believe that drying out your skin will dry out acne. This is the complete opposite thing that you want to do! Be proud of your oily skin, it ages much slower than people who have drier skin types.
- Embrace your freckles, pale skin, and natural skin color whole heartedly - Inner confidence and happiness will make you glow far greater than any product or procedure. You can literally see happiness on someones face/skin.
- Stress is the key to almost every. single. flare up - I know for myself that when I get even just a tiny bit stressed my skin freaks out and I can wake up with a handful of breakouts. Practice relaxation techniques (mine is a epsom bath with lavender and coconut oil). See the bigger picture and Chill.
- Inflammation is the root of all evil. Eat less sugar (even too much fruit can cause you to break out! I experienced this first hand when I tried the 80/10/10 diet when the bulk of my diet was fruit. My skin was horrible). Up your intake of Omega 3's, wild fish, flax and chia seeds. LOTS of them. Other causes of inflammation: lack of sleep, alcohol, excessive sun exposure, too many products that are wrong for your skin type, eating foods that you're sensitive to, not eating enough (your skin is the last organ to be nourished, so if you're not eating enough healthy foods you're skin will get zero of the nourishment you're intaking. Your body has to stay alive, before it gives it to your accessory organs :) ).
- Natural doesn't mean you won't react - Essential oils can be bad for some people, as can some natural oils! I've tried many natural products that actually made my skin worse and breakout very heavily. The ultimate key is finding what works for YOU. I don't use 100% natural products, as my skin needs a little more TLC when dealing with it. I have sensitive, oily and breakout prone skin that needs a little extra oomph, but I will always try and source organic, natural and products without parabens and sodium laurel sulphate. Always.
- Spend on supplements, organic food, skincare and concealer - Skimp on everything else! Hair care, body lotions, heaps of expensive make up, scrubs, perfume, etc.... Find some skin / body loving supplements (I can help with this!), splurge on organic greens, find a stellar face wash / moisturizer / spf & serum and a concealer or light foundation. Skin first, makeup second.
- WATER - Minimum 2 Liters a day - I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you will see it in your skin. I probably drink closer to 3-4 liters a day, but it's because I truly adore water to the fullest. Apart from herbal tea, my daily coffee and green juice it's all I drink, all day, everyday. Don't underestimate the power of it.
Let's get glowing!