GLOW: WHAT IS YOUR SKIN TELLING YOU? BECAUSE IT'S TRYING TO SPEAK TO YOU!
The dreaded breakouts. Why do you break out in some areas and not others?
I've gone through horrible periods with my skin these past few years, due a roller coaster of hormonal changes, contributed by hypothyroidism, Lyme Disease, and everything that came with all of the above.
There was a point a few years back that I was hardly producing any estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone, all the vital sex hormones, that are critical to not only a healthy endocrine system (the system that controls your hormones), but the entire health of your body. I'm sure you all know this by now, but hormones are the king and queens in our body. It's the language that is used to speak to our thyroid, adrenals, brain, everything. When one of them is even slightly off, we feel the ramifications in the rest of our body.
If you're reading this, and have had your hormones tested due to un welcomed symptoms, such as fatigue, hair thinning, loss of vitality, and it was due to low progesterone, but because one hormone was off, it means the others are off balanced too, so other symptoms start to tag along, because whether we like it or not, our hormones are that delicate. It's a very intricate, and beautiful system. One in which we all want hormonal harmony, to take place, but one which also needs major TLC to get back into a harmonious state.
I know because I was there. My hormones were anything but harmonious for over eight years. The first six being when my Lyme was still undiagnosed, so I had no idea what was causing such dysfunction in my body, but the past few years post Lyme diagnosis, was like piecing together an extremely difficult puzzle. Not impossible, but boy oh boy was it mystery to be solved, and pieced back together.
The one thing that really got the short end of the stick, amongst others, was my skin.
My unbalanced hormones wreaked havoc on my poor epidermis.
Acne, cystic and inflamed, milia, rashness, redness and hyper sensitivity to sun and light. Not to mention oil for days.
First and foremost, when it comes to skin, hormones will play the biggest factor in a clear, and radiant complexion. Food, and what you consume is often secondary, because no matter how pristine and clean you eat, break outs, flare ups and redness will ensue! We can't control our hormones as we do the foods we eat. This is where your frustrations, meet your endless trial and error of potions, supplements, elimination diets, creams, serums, elixirs, oils and the experiments are endless.
When it comes to helping clients with their skin, which is one of my biggest passions, I usually follow this protocol:
- Full health history (Initial Consult - 75min)
- If they have blood work (which I recommend) we look at hormone levels together
- Lifestyle analysis
- Current skincare regime - photos
- 7-14 day food diary depending on each case
- Past and current skin symptoms
- Skin photos with no makeup
- Future skin goals!!! So together, we truly get glowing. Nothing makes me happier than a woman feeling confident in her own skin, from the inside out.
With this, I have a holistic view of someones life, and skin! I'm then able to assess what the individual needs for their skin, but also their overall diet, including food and supplementation which combined, will help heal, not only the skin, but the body in it's entirety.
Today I wanted to break down face mapping to give you more clarity as to how everything is connected. Your breakouts aren't random, and just because. They correlate with your organs, and your skin is just a vehicle for the elimination of toxins. Your skin is ultimately the last resort to flush your body of the toxins, as your specific organ has become over burdened.
Think of your blemishes as X’s on a map that is your face. With this “map” as your guide, you can address the underlying causes of blemishes and correctly determine how to prevent them from recurring. (Don't you wish you know about this in middle school?)
So, what are your breakouts telling you? Don't you just wish they could talk back sometimes!
Here is an overview of the basic areas and what breakouts or abnormalities in those areas mean:
Zone 1 & 3: Bladder & Digestive System
- Clean up your diet + drink more water. More than you think you need. Also add in a clean and potent probiotic. I think the best on the market is Health Force - Friendly Force.
Zone 2: Liver
- Try cutting back on alcohol, heavy food or dairy. This area can also indicate a food allergy.Your liver filtrates and holds all your toxins, when things get built up in there your skin is the first place it will excrete itself. Eliminating dairy is major for clearing up acne. I've seen it with my own skin, and that of my clients.
Zone 4 : Kidneys
- Make sure you’re keeping yourself hydrated with water ( again, I can't stress the importance of pure, and alkaline water if you can) and cut back on liquids that dehydrate you. This means nix the soda, coffee and/or alcohol for a period of time to see what your skin is trying to tell you.
Zone 5 & 9: Respiratory system
- Those who smoke or have allergies tend to have acne here. First, try to ditch the smoking! I know this is easier said than done. I'm not coming from a judgey place in the slightest, but we both know that it's not serving anyone. If you can start meditating for five minutes each morning & night. Deep breathing and relaxation can help open up your lungs, and this will reduce stress greatly, which is food for your pimples. They love stress!
Zone 6 & 8: Kidneys
- Dark circles are usually a result of dehydration. So drink up, and get your zzz's. Sleep is so important here. Also dark circles can indicate liver toxicity - eat and juice bitter greens (dandelion) to help flush your liver. Anything bitter, is good for your liver.
Zone 7: Heart
- Check your blood pressure and make sure you’re not using makeup that irritates your skin!
Zone 12: Stomach
- Consider a detox or adding more fiber to your diet to help with digestion. Eat fruit first thing in the morning to cleanse your system. Drink warm lemon water upon waking. Take your probiotic. Don't drink water with meals ( it dilutes the Hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which inhibits proper digestion). If you don't know what is upsetting your stomach write a food journal and notice how you feel after you eat certain things or try the elimination diet. Gut health is everything, which is why it's one of my customizable packages available to you. When our second brain isn't healthy or happy, neither are we!
Zone 11 & 13: Hormones
- This one is a biggie for me! When my hormones were crazy, I was breaking out here all. the. time. I didn't have clear skin in this area for a good four to five years! Here are few things you can get started with: Drink copious amounts of alkaline water, drink and eat your greens. Alkaline your body as much as you can. (80% alkaline foods, 20% acidic). Sleep. Baths. Meditation. Do things that relieve stress for you. Ditch the refined sugar. Sugar aggravates acne like no other. If breakouts in this area persistent, make an appointment with a ND or MD to get blood work to look into a possible hormonal imbalance. You also don't need blood work to confirm hormonal imbalance, sometimes your levels will be in a 'normal' range, but you will be completely symptomatic. Day by day. Additionally, breakouts in this area also indicate when you are ovulating (and which side).
Zone 14: Illness
- Can be a sign of your body fighting bacteria to avoid illness. Take a breather and drink plenty of water and green juice. Take key vitamins, and supplements that support your own unique body, lifestyle and microbiome. Don't overload your body with these, as your liver is most likely compromised. So, in the end you might just have extremely expensive urine. I believe in food first, and supplementation when needed. But I often find people taking too many things, or not the right things. It's tricky, I know. But totally doable to find your own unique protocol and regime. Nothing, nothing, nothing is impossible.
Lastly, I fully understand the pain, and shame caused by relentless breakouts, and troublesome skin. It seems so silly to be so concerned with such an external factor. I know, because I used to shame myself and feel guilty for wanting clear and glowing skin! It was such a terrible physical, and mental cycle.
But wanting to glow, be our best selves, feel confident, happy, and healthy is not silly. Acne is a medical condition and indicates imbalance in the body. Every human being wants to feel balanced, so with this little bit of guidance I hope it will lead you to some answers, and actions. To see lasting change we have to be willing to make changes, do things differently and sometimes sacrifice things which we know are not good for us.
I fully understand the path of healing, and would love to be there for you. For those of you in need of deeper guidance, support and love during the beautiful, exciting and often difficult journey when it comes to our own unique bodies, health and lifestyles, I look forward to connecting over a session.
PS - MY EBOOK RELEASES TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! If the time isn't right to book a session / package with me, first of all I truly understand, second, I really encourage you to get this book. One of the sections addresses skin, and the book is called 'Glow From The Inside Out', so I have a feeling you will find lots of gold nuggets in there, that you can start applying today!