NUTRITION: COCONUT WATER
If you're an athlete, sweat or workout often what are you consuming to replenish your electrolytes?
I c r i n g e (but don't judge!!!) when I see athletes + people consuming Gatorade and sports drinks. Not to mention they are owned by PepsiCo one of the most GMO laden + cancer producing chemicals on this planet (sorry, mini rant!).
Not to scare you but. . . Check out the ingredients of Gatorade : Water, sucrose, citric acid, salt, sodium citrate, natural and artificial flavor, monopotassium phosphate, Sucralose, Acesulfame potassium, Red 40, Blue 1
"Red 40 & Blue 1" what the heck?
Some Background Info // "Blue No. 1, a common dye found in Gatorade, is especially potent. Not only does it turn your tongue blue, but researchers have speculated it may cause temporary discoloration of your body tissue and brain. Red No. 40 and Yellow No. 5 are also used in Gatorade and have been linked to numerous health problems. A research study in the 1970’s found that rats that consumed Yellow No. 5 contracted intestinal cancer at much higher rates than those who did not. Most medical professionals agree that Gatorade has high health risks and low nutritional value."
Removing harmful dyes would have no adverse effect on the taste of Gatorade and would make the product much safer, particularly for children! But why is it still in there? I'll stop there though, as I know this rant can continue ;) Ultimately I just want you to know WHAT you are ingesting, and from there make a mindful choice. NEVER do I judge people who drink that or eat this, it is SUCH an individual choice as to what we choose to consume. But I will spread the word, live by my actions and help when people are ready!
Moving onto the BEST option instead of Gatorade and one of my loves - Coconut Water! ( I also LOVE coconut oil and coconut meat aka the white stuff on the inside of the shell)
COCONUT WATER ADVOCATES boast some lofty claims though. Is coconut water really nature’s Gatorade – more hydrating than water – or merely a well-designed marketing ploy?
Coconut water has actually been extensively studied by the Western scientific community since the 1940s. In its natural form, it is a thirst quenching and nutrient-dense beverage. It is HIGHLY concentrated with five electrolytes that are known to support rapid hydration: sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus. Each serving contains more potassium than a banana, plus many other essential minerals and vitamins such as iron and manganese. It has a unique chemical composition of sugars, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and cytokinines – which have shown anti-aging and anti-cancer effects in research studies. Unlike SOOO many other pseudo healthy products out there, it turns out that the claims of coconut water being the ultimate hydrating beverage are, in fact, TRUE!
Put down the Gatorade, Red Bull, Powerade & Monsters and get ready to experience coconut water’s life-changing benefits. I know these benefits might seem outrageous, but it's because IT IS that powerful as it's one of natures greatest gifts // Drink Up!
1. Coconut water is a good source of the major minerals like magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chlorine and sulfur. These minerals are hard to find in therapeutic levels in a normal diet (even a healthy one), which is why drinking coconut water daily is a great way to get them.
2. Contains a variety of trace elements such as zinc, selenium, iodine, sulfur, manganese, boron, molybdenum that act as antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants protect the body from damage by toxins, keeping you young and vibrant.
3. Coconut water is relatively low in sugar compared to other juices and drinks. It also contains minerals which balance blood sugar. This makes coconut water a great beverage for those with blood sugar issues.
4. Because of the complexity of the nutritional content of coconut water, its electrolytes are readily absorbed into the body for use. This is why you can feel its benefits so quickly.
5. Coconut water does not contain artificial sugar or colors, high fructose corn syrup, caffeine or chemical preservatives that are found in commercial sports drinks. This makes it “nature’s Gatorade” – effective without harming the body.
6. Due to its hydrating nature, coconut water is effective in treating dehydration and heatstroke.
7. In traditional cultures, coconut water is used as a remedy for gastroenteritis, urinary stone dissolution and coronary heart disease.
8. Coconut water contains natural antimicrobial peptides that can be effective in fighting bacteria such as E.coli, B. subtilis, S. aureus and P. aeruginosa. E. coli is a multi-drug-resistant bacterium and universal inhabitant of human digestive tract. S. aureus and B. subtilis cause food spoilage and poisoning. P. aeruginosa is a potential human pathogen found inhabiting milk products, vegetables and meat.
9. Coconut water is one of the most effective ways to rehydrate the body from dehydrating conditions such as diarrhea, vomiting, a fever or kidney complications.
10. Coconut water contains vitamin C, which helps to boost the immune system, heal wounds and protect the skin from damage.
11. Coconut water is believed that coconut water can be used for intravenous hydration due to its close resemblance to human plasma!!! CRAZINESS.
12. Coconut water has cardio-protective effects attributed to its rich content of mineral ions, especially potassium. It may prevent myocardial infarction.
13. Regular consumption of coconut water may be effective in bringing about the control of hypertension, also known as high blood pressure.
14. Coconut water contains cytokinins, which are a class of phytohormones that show significant anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic effects.
15. One of its cytokinins, kinetin, has shown in studies to have strong anti-aging effects on human skin cells. It can delay the onset of several cellular and biochemical characteristics associated to cellular aging, in particular those associated with photo-damaged skin.
16. Kinetin has demonstrated anti-cancer effects and can potentially act as a treatment for myeloma, heptamoa, and mammary carcinomas.
17. Kinetin has effective anti-platelet properties, and may be a potential therapeutic agent for treating arterial thrombosis and preventing blood clots.
18. Coconut water contains another cytokinin called trans-zeatin. Recent studies showed that trans-zeatin can be a potential drug to treat neural diseases. In particular, it can be effective in Alzheimer’s disease or related neural dysfunctions, such as dementia.
19. Coconut water contains yet another cytokinin called gibberellins (GAs). A recent study showed that gibberellin derivatives have anti-tumor bioactivities.
20. Coconut water contains inorganic ions that are required for normal cellular function and are critical for enzyme activation.
21. Coconut water’s inorganic acids play a role in bone formation.
22. Coconut water’s minerals are utilized for hemoglobin function, ensuring healthy blood.
23. Coconut water’s high inorganic acid content plays a critical role in gene expression.
24. Coconut water aids in the proper metabolism of amino acids, lipids and carbohydrates, improving the distribution of nutrients received from food.
25. Coconut water can replenish the electrolytes of the human body excreted through sweat, such as sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium. This makes it an essential part of post workout recovery.
26. Coconut water contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7 and B9 (folate).
27. B1 improves brain function, protects the nerves, improves cardiovascular functioning, ensures eye health and is needed for energy production.
28. B2 can prevent migraine headaches, minimizes the effects of cancer-producing carcinogens, is used to prevent anemia, and breaks down proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, and helps produce energy.
29. B3 is useful in reducing cholesterol, managing blood sugar levels and treating arthritis.
30. B5 supports adrenal glands, reducing stress, and helps to lower blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
31. B6 is used for physical and psychological disorders, from heart disease and mental depression, to kidney stones and memory loss.
32. B7 improves metabolism and is used for tissue maintenance, healthy skin, weight loss, and relief from heart problems.
33. B9 or folate is necessary to create healthy fetuses. It also may reduce osteoporosis and heart disease. It also releases serotonin, improving mood.
34. Coconut water helps dilate bloods vessels and improves blood flow.
35. Coconut water contains dietary fiber and amino acids. These help moderate sugar absorption and improve insulin sensitivity. This makes it beneficial for diabetics.
36. Animal studies show that coconut water consumption improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad, and reduces plaque formation in arteries.
37. Some clinical evidence shows that it may improve health in those with kidney and urethral stones.
38. Rich in magnesium, coconut water can alleviate muscle cramps, and restless leg syndrome.
39. High in electrolytes, coconut water can help normalize heart rhythms.
40. Coconut water improves digestion, and may normalize bowel movements.
41. Coconut water benefits those suffering from stress, and may reduce panic attacks and anxiety.
42. Coconut water promotes a good night’s rest, and can be helpful for those with insomnia.
43. Coconut water quickly improves energy by flooding the body with easy-to-access nutrients including glucose.
44. Coconut water helps neutralize acids in the body, keeping the body alkaline.
45. Coconut water increases oxygen in the body tissues, therefore improving athletic performance.
46. Coconut water promotes the clearance of toxins from the body.
47. Coconut water strengthens the bones and may help to prevent osteopenia and osteoporosis.
48. Coconut water helps regulate fluid levels in the body and may prevent edema and the occurrence of water weight.
49. Coconut water assists in nervous system functioning and the transmission of electrical impulses in the body, and may help ease symptoms of nerve pain and tingling.
50. Coconut water is composed of many naturally occurring enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase and RNA-polymerases. Enzymes are used to construct tissues, generate energy and to breakdown harmful growths.
51. Coconut water contains GABA, a neurotransmitter that has a relaxing, anti-anxiety, and anti-convulsive effect on the body.
52. Coconut water contains the amino acid alanine, which helps convert sugar into energy, and helps eliminate toxins from the liver.
53. Coconut water is rich in glutamic acid, an amino acid that is important for learning and retaining memory.
54. Coconut water is naturally high in chlorine, which works closely with sodium and water to help the distribution of body fluids.
55. Coconut water contains malic acid, which may help treat fibromyalgia when paired with magnesium, and may assist with the breakdown of gallstones.
It's VERY deceiving as you just see a little bottle of 'milky' water and think that it's nothing special, but IT IS. Also beware of coconut water that is made from Concentrate - stay away! OR ones that ADD sugar to them aka flavored Coconut water. (Avoid: Vita Coco, O.N.E, Zico, Coco Libre.)
Some of my favorites in Canada include : Nirvana (my favorite! And Budget friendly), Green House Juice Co (Expensive - but worth it as a treat!!!), Grace (also budget friendly). Those are my best finds in Canada.
In the US - Harmless Harvest ALL THE WAY. If you are ever in the US grab a bottle, and taste the difference. I'm crossing my fingers they come to CA!
BOTTOMLINE - Get into the Coconut. If you love it, it will love you & your body back.
Happy Friday beauties!
love & light