NUTRITION: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE HEALTHY?
I am often asked what constitutes 'HEALTH' or a 'HEALTHY PERSON' - I though about it and came up with a few points that I feel fall under My Health Umbrella!
What do us 'HEALTH NUTS' have in common? My guess would be the following things! (although not limited to this)
1) WE ARE “IMMUNE” TO HEALTH AND DIETING TRENDS (BECAUSE WE KNOW IT’S ALL MARKETING)
Whether it’s a raspberry ketone craze (Hello Dr.Oz!), the latest belly fat banishing diet, or the newest reincarnation of a low carb diet, we can laugh at this because we know health trends usually have nothing to do with BEING healthy!
2) WE LOVE AND SUPPORT OUR LOCAL FARMERS
Giving some love and appreciation to the local farmer that grows your food is yet another way to support small sustainable farms over factory farms and monocropping.
3) WE LISTEN TO OUR BODIES MORE THAN A DOCTOR, AND DON’T TRUST ANY ONE PERSON TO MAKE OUR HEALTH DECISIONS
In the world of Western Medicine, it can be dangerous to trust any one medical opinion as bond. Healthy people get a second opinion when something feels wrong, and they seek out natural alternatives whenever possible. With my health journey, I saw MANY, MANY medical specialists. MRI's, spinal taps, blood samples/tests/testing, etc . . . None of them TRULY listened to me, or believed in my symptoms. Deep down I knew something was wrong, and continued to forge forward.
4) WE KNOW THAT HEALTH STARTS WITH SPENDING TIME IN THE KITCHEN
It’s pretty hard to be healthy if you can’t spend a few minutes in the kitchen everyday preparing food! Your kitchen should be your best friend. Knowledge is power.
5) WE SEE FOOD COSTS AS AN INVESTMENT IN “HEALTHCARE”
Healthy people are aware that many pharmaceutical drugs are just a synthetic imitation of plant compounds! In order to patent a drug you need to synthetically alter it because nothing found in nature can be patented. So you see aspirin inspired by the salicylic acid in white willow bark, and valium inspired by compounds valerian root. Take this as further confirmation that real food is indeed medicine!
6) WE VOTE WITH OUR FORKS, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO GMO’S AND PESTICIDES
When it comes to eating, healthy people walk the walk, not just talk the talk! We choose organic, local and non-GMO foods whenever possible over the alternative. I try to eat 100% organic when I have pure control over my food. This is something I value very, very highly and therefore budget for this. I don't go out and party, buy alcohol, spend money on non-necessities, etc. Organic food + My health is priceless and a priority. BUT I am not perfect!!! I'm not 100% militant about it, as I believe that food should also be fun, and when other people make you food out of there heart and soul, I will enjoy it with absolute pleasure as it's SO full of LOVE! The other magical ingredient.
7) WE TAKE PRIDE IN EATING NOURISHING FOODS THAT THEIR GREAT GRANDMOTHER WOULD RECOGNIZE AS FOOD Would your great grandmother smother margarine on her toast or cook her foods in canola and soybean oil– something that her body didn’t crave? I don’t think so.
8) WE LOOK FOR SHORT INGREDIENT LISTS, AND WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE PUTTING IN OUR BODY
Before processed food, there were NO INGREDIENT lists, just homecooked food! Take that as a clue and always keep your ingredient lists on the shorter side, always make sure you can clearly pronounce and identify them! I usually look for 5 ingredients or less, and truly try to eat non-packaged food!
9) WE LISTEN TO OUR BODY AND EAT WHAT WE WANT WHEN WE WANT IT
Your body is much smarter than you give it credit for, and your cravings will usually mirror macro-nutrients (carbs, proteins, fats) or micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals) needed by your body to maintain health!
10) WE EAT ENOUGH FOOD TO GET THE NUTRIENTS WE REALLY NEED!
Any time you limit calories or food intake, you restrict the nutrients you consume! Healthy people know this and eat ENOUGH of the right foods to satisfy their body and their nutritional bank account!
What is under your Health Umbrella? It is NOT about being perfect, but finding what works for Y O U .
I hope everyone is having a beautiful week so far!
love & light