NUTRITION: TOP 8 FOODS I EAT EVERY DAY!
Hiiiiiiiii Beautiful Souls,
I've been under the weather, AKA 'sick'. February breeds colds, flus and nasty viruses that linger throughout the crowded subways, work environments & close encounters with germs and bugs. It's the coldest month of the year, and it's a month where winter still seems eternal, and spring far, far away . . . I normally do not succumb to these bugs, as my immunity is rock solid, and I haven't had a cold or flu in years and years. BUT I do believe my immune system was suppressed due to life changes, transitions + new journeys with my health (ALL good stuff, but lingering stress none the less). That being said I do believe that fighting off a bug, is a GOOD thing every. once in awhile. It allows your body to fight, build more white blood cells + reset. This one hit me pretty hard, and I've been tasteless since Saturday (I can't taste ANY of my pure organic goodness)! BUT I know with each bite my body is h e a l i n g. Losing smell & taste also teaches you a lot about hunger levels + mindfulness when it comes to eating. Not just eating because it TASTES good, but how is this food nourishing + fueling me.
In any case I wanted to share my TOP 8 FOODS that I eat every. single. day.
1) LEMONS - I posted on Instagram today my love for lemons. I have a warm lemon water every morning, as it's the BEST thing to drink upon waking. THEY are rich in vitamins C and B-complex and minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, silicon, copper, and potassium. They are considered to be a wonderful tonic and can help to cleanse and detoxify the ENTIRE body. Although lemons have an acidic taste they actually have a very strong alkaline reaction on the body and can help to alkalize blood, cells, lymph, organs, and tissues. They are also extremely rich in bioflavonoids which can significantly boost the immune system and reduce inflammation in the body. We wake up very acidic so it's imperative to a l k a l i z e as soon as possible. I also juice with them, make dressings, add the juice to steamed greens + sometimes just eat them. They are staples!
2) CELERY - This water filled veggie is another one of my every day loves. Celery is a strongly alkaline food that helps to purify the bloodstream, aid in digestion, prevent migraines/headaches, relax the nerves, reduce blood pressure, and clear up skin problems! It's a heavy hitter even though it might seem like 'nothing'. It is a well known natural diuretic and has ample ability to flush toxins out of the body, which is why I consume it everyday in my smoothies + juices. It also has VERY significant anti-inflammatory properties making it an essential food for those who suffer from auto-immune illnesses, or illness in general. Consider it your bodies natural 'sweeper', as it sweeps away toxins, parasites + anything foreign in your body. It also contains significant amounts of calcium and silicon which can aid in the repair of damaged ligaments and bones. Fresh celery juice is one of the most powerful and healing juices one can drink! Get into it.
3) AVOCADOS - THIS is one of the world’s most perfect foods. It is easily digested and contains over 25 essential nutrients including iron, copper, magnesium, and essential fatty acids that help the body to function optimally. Avocados increase the body’s ability to assimilate nutrients, so they are a wonderful addition to green leafy salads to ensure proper absorption of all the vitamins and minerals. They are also an excellent source of glutathione which helps to boost the immune system, strengthen the heart, rebuild the nervous system, and slow the aging process. The monounsaturated fats in avocados reverse insulin resistance which helps to steady blood sugar levels. PRETTY much it helps aid in the body in any + all processes. It's a food that should be consumed daily. I add it to smoothies, eat them on their own as a snack, massage into kale, add it to salads + green wraps. Its uses are endless!!!
4) CUCUMBERS - ONE of my favorites, although to be honest it's hard to play as I LOVE all of these equaLLy. Cucumbers are a highly alkalinizing and hydrating food that are rich in nutrients such as vitamins A, C, K, magnesium, silicon, and potassium. They have wonderful anti-inflammatory benefits which can significantly benefit autoimmune and neurological disorders. Their HIGH silica content promotes strong and healthy hair and nails which has earned them the reputation for centuries as being a “beautifying” food. Fresh cucumber juice has the ability to cleanse and detox the entire body, just like celery. Both of these heavy hitters appear TOO watery or nutrition-less to MANY, but honestly they are some of the BEST foods you can eat! Don't be fooled by their watery nature. Finally, it's also an ideal way to properly hydrate the body since it is contains beneficial electrolytes that have the ability to bring nutrients and hydration deep into the cells and tissues making it far more effective than water alone!!! LBL HEALTH TIP - Cut up a couple of slices and add it to your water, with lemon!
5) CHIA SEEDS - There miracle seeds are just that, a miracle. They are a rich source of protein, vitamins E & B-complex and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, boron, zinc, strontium, and iron. They are higher in omega-3 fatty acids than ANY OTHER FOOD and are known to be particularly beneficial for chronic inflammation, heart disease, brain function, cancer, and autoimmune diseases. They are a great “brain food” and they are known to help improve memory, sharpen focus and concentration skills, and reduce brain fog and forgetfulness. This is NOT a reason to consume them but, they are also an excellent weight loss food due to their high fiber and protein content which can boost the metabolism and promote lean muscle mass! They are also known to help soothe and cleanse the colon as well as absorb toxins while strengthening peristaltic action. Chia seeds provides a great source of energy and can help you feel energized with sustaining energy all day long! Sprinkle that s%*$ e v e r y w h e r e. I add them to my smoothies, in my water, in baking, salads, I LOVE making a chia putting. Add 3-4 TBSP with 16oz of nut/seed mylk of your choice. Leave overnight in your fridge and in the morning add fresh berries, nuts or seeds + bee pollen. This will leave you energized all. day. long.
6) KALE -ALL HAIL KALE. Kale is a nutritionally packed leafy vegetable that contains incredible healing and rejuvenating properties, and contains omega-3 fatty acids, chlorophyll, amino acids, vitamins A, C, E, K, B-complex and minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper, and potassium. Kale is an anti-cancer powerhouse and contains phytochemicals such as glucosinolates (what?!??!) that help protect the body from breast, colon, prostate, ovarian, and bladder cancer. These glucosinolates are also known to detox the body on genetic level and have the ability to literally transform your body and health. ANOTHER miracle food!! Kale also contains an organic sulfur which has potent antibiotic, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties that work to boost to the immune system and provide significant benefits for chronic inflammation and oxidative stress - 2 things that living in cities, toxic environments / mental states + STRESS produce. Remember that your thoughts + actions can create physical illness in the body. Again something I add to E V E R Y T H I N G. It knows no bounds for me!
7) PEARS - Pears, once called the “gift of the gods”, are a juicy, sweet, and easily digested fruit that are rich in vitamins and alkaline minerals such as vitamins A, C, E, folic acid, niacin, copper, and boron. They are extremely anti-inflammatory food making them perfect for those who suffer from autoimmune disorders such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis, Lyme disease (hello!), Hashimoto’s, and Colitis. They low glycemic which means you don't have to worry about the sugar content, and they are the perfect food for those who have blood sugar issues. Pears contain a special fiber that binds with bile acids in the intestines which has the ability to lower cholesterol. Individuals who also suffer from thyroid issues, like myself, pears are a good source of iodine which helps to keep the metabolism balanced and the thyroid functioning properly!! LBL HEALTH TIP: Allow pears to fully ripen at room temperature before eating for maximum nutritional and health benefits! Ripe fruits are all you should be eating, as they are the most alkalize forming in the body.
8) ZUCCHINI - I fear another food that gets a bad rap because it's 'bland' + has no flavor. It should be considered anything BUT . . . AND this is why. Zucchini is a highly alkaline food that is one of the mildest and easiest vegetables to digest. It's an amazing source of vitamin A, C, & B-complex as well as minerals such as iron, zinc, potassium, and manganese. It is VERY high in fiber and low in calories which makes it a great weight loss food and helps to reduce constipation and bloating! This is also another fact that will get you eating it, it is rich in poly-phenolic antioxidants which are essential in helping to protect the body from aging, illness, and disease. Zucchini is also a good source of potassium which is an important intra-cellular electrolyte that helps to maintain fluid balance and normalize blood pressure and is vital in helping to prevent heart attacks and stroke. PHEW, are you into them yet? Zucchini is also known to be particularly beneficial for hypertension, cataracts, macular degeneration, atherosclerosis (which leads to heart attacks!), diabetes, edema (fluid retention), multiple sclerosis, and stomach and colon cancers. I mostly eat it raw - in smoothies, juices + in salads. It takes the flavor of your dressings, and is VERY mild. Do not fear the zucchini, it's a very healing food and should be consumed daily.
NOTE: ALL of these foods should be eaten organic! They are on the dirty dozen list (apart from Avo's) so if you're able to, find them organic. If that's not possible, it's OK!!! Just make sure you soak them VERY well in lemon water + vinegar - overnight if possible.
This is A LOT. Take some time to D I G E S T it. You're probably eating some of these foods already!!! If not try adding them into your weekly routine. When it comes to my health, which isn't only my physical body, but my mental, spiritual, and all of my senses I nourish to enliven, replenish, rejuvenate + promote longevity + radiance holistically.
I hope you guys found this useful! I'M DEEPLY enlivened with sharing my passions + experience with you. If you take ANYTHING away from this my heart is full.
Have the most beautiful rest of your week!
love & light