NUTRITION: MY TOP TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY DURING THE WEEK.
I know that we all lead busy lives, not only during the week but also on weekends. Life is full, of goodness that is, and I hope that whatever you do fill your time with, it brings forth your gifts. Being happy, healthy, vibrant and full of love, I feel are the keys to success and a happy and long life. If you are unhappy in your job, or in life, I want you to sit in this feeling. What can you do differently? What are some small steps you can take to make some changes? It all starts with the small steps. Never, ever feel that your stuck or can't do anything to get out of your current situation. You do have a power. I re-read THIS post I wrote a few months back and it really hit me yesterday as it was exactly what I needed to hear! Hopefully it will help, inspire, motivate you in the same way. Ok, back to todays post!
Here are small things that I do every week to live a healthier, and happier life:
1. Water with lemon, Green Tea and Green Juice in the morning - These are my triad of beverages! How you start your morning sets you up for the rest of your week. Not only are the hydrating, glow inducing and rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, but they hydrate my body in the morning like nothing else. When we wake up we are quite acidic due to our bodies detoxification processes as we sleep. Therefore re-alkalizing in the morning is vital to starting your day off right. Also these are all quite cost effective! Water is free, and a box of organic green tea is only $4, green juice can be quite expensive but when you buy organic veggies in bulk and make it super simple (a green, cucumber, celery, lemon & ginger)
2. Do a BIG Farmers Market or Grocery store Haul on the Weekend - I like to keep pantry staples stocked at all times such as - lentils, oats, spices, maca, chia seeds, millet, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, apple cider vinegar, dried beans, protein, etc... and do a large organic produce haul on the weekend. Usually during the week I pick up copious amounts of greens, as they get depleted pretty fast in our house hold :) Veggie monsters.
3. Buy in Bulk - Get a load of mason jars and buy all of your spices, nuts + seeds, dried beans, gluten free gains, dried beans in bulk and transfer them to your mason jars. Not only are you saving money, but you are helping the environment. Furthermore when everything is stocked and ready to go you are more likely to cook and eat healthier / healthy as you have everything on hand.
4. Buy frozen fruit - I always have organic frozen blueberries and raspberries on hand. It makes breakfast so, so simple. Throw in a cup of frozen berries, some nut or seed milk, chia seeds, maca, protein, a green and you're set for the day!
5. Cook in Bulk on a Sunday - Make a massive batch of quinoa or millet, steam or roast sweet potatoes, roast or steam seasonal veg, cut up raw veggies for salads, make a huge batch of hummus, wash all of your greens and store them in air tight containers, cook a massive pot of dried lentils, and make a batch of lemon - tahini - apple cider vinegar dressing. You can then have a salad in minutes, a beautiful Glow Bowl w/ grains and sweet potatoes, or simple and healthy snack on hand in a matter of a minute! You can then add protein of your choice, and Voila, literally meals in minutes.
6. Bulk juice or make smoothies - If mornings are hard for you make 2-3 servings of your favorite juice or smoothies in one go. If sealed properly, Mason Jars are optimal and cheap, they can be kept in the fridge for up to 72 hours.
7. Make Mason Jar Salads for your lunch - I love doing this, and do it often! Get a large Mason Jar and start layering. First add your dressing, a watery vegetable ( I like spiralized Zucchini), greens, a GF grain, a protein, more raw veggies or sweet potato, sliced avocado and you are good to go. You can also make a few of these at a time and store for the easiest lunch ever! No more having to spend $15 on takeaway salads. See those as a treat, as not only will you know exactly what into your lunch, love included, you will save so, so, so much money down the line.
8. Take at least 20 minutes everyday for you - This is vital for staying healthy during the week! Make it a priority, and write it into your planner if you must. This might mean a 20 minute bath with a good book, a serene and peaceful walk in nature, a meditative and sweat inducing workout, meditation, reading in a cafe, breathing deeply with your legs up against a wall or enjoying a delicious meal in silence. Whatever it is make it your own and breathe new air into your lungs, destress and bask in your amazingness + glow. Happiness and health is everything!
Have a Healthy and Happy Weekend!