I'm having a blueberry obsession at the moment. Although the 'prime' season is over for them, I continue to add forzen, organic + wild blueberries to my smoothies.
Blueberries are very nostalgic for me as they bring me back to summers on our farm, in our blueberry patch. HANDS DOWN my dad picks the BEST blueberries. They are wild, on Canadian soil, organic + picked with true love. My dad has been chased by bears, and will stay picking for hours, days on end. It actually brings me to tears thinking about how much love he has for his farm, blueberries + organic garden. I took it for granted back then as a little girl not knowing the TRUE beauty of it, but now send him love and gratitude for every single thing and moment in my life.
That is enough sentiment for a Monday, lets bring it back to these magical berries, which they truly are. They are the superstars of fruits, and even vegetables for that matter, as there antioxidant level rivals almost any piece of fruit/vegetable out there.
See why blueberries should be a m a i n s t a y in your everyday life / diet.
1. Catechins found in blueberries activate fat-burning genes in abdominal fat cells to assist with weight loss, and belly fat loss in particular. According to recent research, regularly ingesting catechins increases abdominal fat loss by 77 percent and double total weight loss.
2. They contain a group of natural phytonutrients (plant nutrient) which have a unique ability to protect both the watery and fatty parts of the brain against damage from some environmental toxins.
3. Blueberries are one of the richest sources of proanthocyanidins. These phytonutrients decrease free radicals levels that are linked to aging (yes wrinkling!!!) and disease.
4. In animal studies, those given an extract of blueberries had less motor skill decline and performed better on memory tests than animals not given the blueberries. Researchers conclude that compounds in blueberries may reverse some age-related memory loss and motor skill decline. Which is why it's dubbed the 'brain berry'.
5. Blueberries are packed with vitamins C, E, riboflavin, niacin, and folate.
6. They are a rich source of the phytonutrients ellagic acid. Ellagic acid has proven anticancer and genetic-material-protection capabilities. It also encourages a healthy rate of apoptosis —how the body seeks out and destroys harmful or damaged cells, like cancer cells. MAJOR.
7. Because they contain plentiful amounts of the phytonutrient quercetin, they may reduce the likelihood and severity of allergies.
8. Blueberries contain minerals like iron, magnesium, manganese, and potassium.
9. Blueberries contain salicylic acid—the natural version of aspirin. Salicylic acid is known to thin the blood and reduce pain.
10. Blueberries are excellent anti-inflammatory agents. They increase the amounts of compounds called heat-shock proteins that decrease as people age. When heat shock proteins decrease the result is inflammation and damage, particularly in the brain. Research shows that by eating blueberries regularly, inflammation lessens. Which is why I love to enjoy this smoothie after a workout. It helps the body and organs repair, as no matter what exercise you are engaging in, it produces inflammation and actually aids in aging.
11. They increase the production of feel-good dopamine. Dopamine is a natural neurotransmitter (brain messenger) that tends to be low in Parkinson’s.
12. They taste AMAZING. Ok, this is no surprise but it’s a great reason to eat blueberries anyway.
Do you need anymore of a reason to eat blueberries aka 'brain berry' or drink my delicious Blue Lovin' smoothie?
This guy is SO packed with healthy fats that will leave you satiated + Your skin glowing, hair shiny + nails growing like a weed.
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries -half cup unsweetened coconut mylk -half cup coconut water -1/2 small avocado -1 TBSP chia seeds -1 tsp maca -1 serving of vegan/raw protein powder (I use Sun Warrior vanilla or chocolate) -sprinkle of unsweetened raw cocoa nibs
Blend, serve + enjoy!
love & light