RECIPE: BEAUTY AND THE BEET BOWL
BEAUTY AND THE BEET
Beets and greens, these are a few of my favorite things.
First of all beets run in my blood. I come from a very Ukrainian family, on both my parents side. My mothers side is more prominent as they actually made the voyage from Ukraine to Alberta. My grandmother, grandfather, Aunt + My mama, who was in my Baba's tummy at the time, came over on a boat from Ukraine to Alberta, and during that lengthy journey my Mama was actually born in Belgium. I can't imagine the journey that they embarked on, and what freedom was had + felt when they settled into the vast prairies of Alberta. Man, we're so lucky to have such freedom!
I can't help but be super grateful for my family, history, and rich culture.
I digress, back to the food, as I could go on, and on regarding my Ukrainian heritage. ♥
Beets to me symbolize so much more than just food. They are the life blood of not only my culture, heritage and past, but my own blood. I remember my Mama trying to feed me borscht when I was a little girl, but I unfortunately was too young to appreciate the earthy taste of the beautiful beets. I actually couldn't stand borscht, and only started to appreciate *just* the broth in my late teens. I would drink the borscht broth (I was still getting some of the nutrients, right?), and left the beets and vegetables for my mama. You can often find me saying 'it tastes like dirt', 'they are too earthy'... If only I knew their beautifying benefits. Le sigh.
Fast forward to today and you can't keep me away from beets. I love them in all forms, and I've been fortunate enough to try a multitude of varieties. The classic red beet will always take first place, as without it borscht wouldn't have its insane magenta color. But I do love a good golden or chioggia (candy cane) beet, because they are so ridiculously beautiful.
Mother Nature can do no wrong. Ever.
I know beets are super pretty and all, but it's what they do to our bodies, apart from their earthy nature, that gets me all fired up. Beets are naturally high in super antioxidants, vitamins and minerals without even trying. They don't even have to try to be beautiful AND nutritious. Lucky ducks. Their coloring is actually what points to them being super high in antioxidants, aka our cancer fighting friends, similar to berries and their deep hues. They decrease inflammation, due to their high vitamin C content, and lets quickly touch upon their ability to cleanse the blood , their insane ability to be vasodilators. Yup, vasodilators. This simply means that they help, and do increase the blood flow in your body. This is crucial for many processes, but most notably for helping the liver cleanse any toxins in your body (think perfect hangover food), promote more efficient digestion, and get this beets actually increase your sex drive, and are known to be aphrodisiacs. HELLO! Beets help increase the blood flow to your reproductive organs, and therefore boost your sexual drive and desire. I mean, what more could you ask for?
This simply touches upon the miraculous beauty of beets. They were truly put on this earth to heal, and nourish us beyond our wildest dreams. How did we ever get so lucky, I don't know, but we've been blessed by their presence, and should therefore take every chance we can get to infuse them into our lives and diets.
Good news is I can help with this. Not only have I included them in this beauty bowl, but the dressing / crema has beets in it. Win-win. Two for two. I've got you covered guys.
Make this recipe any day of the week, but especially when you need a little extra cleansing + blood pumping in your life.
BEAUTY AND THE BEET
- Roast beets ( 3-4 small / 2 large) in tin foil at 400 F until soft - this depend on the size, and efficiency on your oven. But it will most likely take 45min to an Hour
- Take them out and let them cool
- Make 1 - 2 cups of Quinoa per taste / Always a 1:2 ratio of quinoa to water
- Soak one cup of cashews for a few hours. Drain water, and rinse
- Place in blender along with 1/4 cup of water
- 2 Tablespoons of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of cayenne
- Chop up one small beet or 1/2 a large one and place into blender
- If there is any juice left over in the tin foil from roasting the beets add it in! There is so much goodness in that juice
- Blend and set aside. If you need a little more water, only add 1 TBSP at a time as you don't want it to be too watery
- Cut up veggies of choice. I always use a base of lots of greens! Here I used romaine because I'm obsessed with the crunch, but please feel free to use whatever greens you have on hand
- Chop up remaining beets
- Chop up raw vegetables - I used grape tomatoes + cucumbers
- Assemble bowl
- Drizzle dressing
- Top with sunflower seeds / seeds of choice
- OPTIONAL: Add 1/2 an avocado or protein of choice (legumes, chicken, salmon)
Enjoy every last glowy bite.
Wishing you a beautiful weekend ahead.
Love & light,
PS- My eBook has an updated + insanely nourishing beet + sweet potato borscht recipe in it! An odé to my heritage + Mama. It's part of my 5-Day Reset. You will become obsessed with it. I promise! BEETS 4 LYFE.