RECIPE: BEET HUMMUS GLOW TOAST, YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND
I will never ever diss the beauty that is avocado toast! RIGHT? How perfect is it? It makes a glorious breakfast, lunch, quick dinner or snack on days when you're hangry (do people still use that word? ha! I still like it!). It will forever hold a place in my heart, but I wanted to switch things up a bit, and add in another obsession of mine...
Beets not only run in my blood (I'm Ukrainian), they actually help purify it. This is because beets are extremely good at detoxifying our liver, which just happens to be the largest detoxifying organ in our entire body. Our liver is our life blood, and helps rid our bodies of toxic substances, environmental pollution, excess hormones, medications, bad fats, sugars, etc... it works hard for us every single millisecond, so I always think it's a good idea to show it some love right back. What does it love? Beets! So beets it gets.
Beets are also known to be vasodilators, which allows your blood to flow more freely and are great at helping treat high blood pressure! Tasty and a potent force of nutrients.
I always, always, always love sharing the 'whys' behind the choice of ingredients, because to me it's more than just food, or a pretty photo. It's medicinal, and food can be used to treat ailments, disease or mental and emotional issues on a much deeper level. Food has answers, if we're willing to look just a little deeper.
We can 100% still eat for pleasure, but I believe nothing is more pleasurable than knowing I'm healing my body with every bite. What you eat now, will make up your cells minutes, and hours later. Isn't that crazy, and so powerful!!! HAHA I can totally get fired up about all of this, as I've experienced the healing properties first hand with my Lyme Disease, so it's something I'm fiercely passionate about.
So I could go on forever, but I'll let part 1 go, or else you will be here forever, and get to what you really want - the recipe!
I'm going to start with the BEET HUMMUS, as it's super simple and utterly divine.
- 1 small cooked beet (I boiled it until soft)
- Around 2 cups of chickpeas
- 1 cup of water
- juice of one lemon
- salt (according to your taste)
- pinch of cayenne (according to your taste)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (don't use coconut or avocado oil as it will alter the taste too much)
- Boil the beet (s). If you want to make a large batch, add two beets, and up the chickpeas to 3-4 cups.
- Literally throw everything in the blender or food processor and voila! The most beautifying, slightly earthy and radiant hummus.
TO MAKE THE TOAST
- Simply spread as much hummus on your toast of choice. I like any sprouted grain bread or fresh, fresh, fresh rye bread.
- Thinly slice avocado and put as much or as little as you want
- Top with black sesame seeds + nutritional yeast OR the toppings of your dreams! I also love sprouts and cucumbers, or radishes + pumpkin seeds + some nutritional yeast + salt. YUM!!!
The choices are endless! It's the beet hummus that takes the show, so anything else is just accessory anyways.
Does anyone else love beets as much as I do?
Wishing you the most beautiful of Weekends! If you make this recipe, I would love to see it! Share it online using the hashtag #LBLrecipe
'SEE YOU' Next Week!