LIFESTYLE: MONDAY INSPIRATION - WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU FEEL STUCK IN LIFE.
In all honesty these past few months I've felt a bit stuck professionally. My business, book and career.
I've had a million excuses go through my head, and out of my mouth: I don't want to set deadlines as I don't want to put pressure on myself, I need a camera to take good photos, my phone is horrible (hehe it kind of is as I switched to an Android, and am switching back to an iPhone asap!), I'm fearful, Will I be healthy enough to really push myself and hustle, I'm too busy, I'm overwhelmed, Is anyone even listening?, How will I put my ebook into production, How to start my online business?, etc, etc... These are just a few of the the thoughts going through my head... and they have left me paralyzed many, many times not knowing where to start, what the next step should be, and how I can go about doing any of it! Through healing from Lymes Disease I developed many healing techniques and coping mechanisms that served me while I was climbing out of the trenches, but I believe them to be a bit detrimental right now.
I share this because I know I'm not the only one feeling like this. Maybe you don't feel like this at the moment, but you have in the past, or you will encounter this in the future. I've made the choice to not go with the grain of society (9-5, secure pension, weekends off, set holidays, health insurance). That is a great and amazing life too, and has many, many advantages, security being one of them! But it's not for me. I've always envisioned myself being an Entrepreneur, having flexibility and freedom, taking a month holiday if I want, choosing my hours, writing a book, traveling with my family and working remotely. Security is really the last thing that I have. Nothing is guaranteed, income varies every month, and ultimately I AM MY BRAND, income and future. If I don't put myself out there, produce new material, invest in myself and my business, know my worth and believe in my story than nothing will move forward. NOW this should set my match on fire, and it does! I know I'm worthy and able to live my dream life, we all are. We all have it within ourselves. What separates the one from actually achieving it is action! Nothing will happen, and I mean nothing, by sitting in fear and doubt.
So what to do?
Here are a few things that have been helping me as I move and work through this:
1. BREATHE - Breathing is so autonomic that sometimes we forget to truly breathe. Those big belly breaths that actually slow down our nervous system. When I think of this type of breathing, I think of a baby. The belly is moving up and down, and we aren't breathing through our chest. Short shallow breaths causes our bodies to think they are in danger which produces stress hormones! These hormones wreak havoc on our bodies, mind, skin, digestion and overall mood. Take 5-10 minutes a date to sit in meditation or deep breathing. An added tip is to lay down and put your legs up against a wall. This allows blood to rush back into your brain, and is uber healing and calming. Try this out for a week and see if you notice any differences.
2. ASK FOR HELP - This is a big one for me! I often feel like I have to do EVERYTHING by myself! Why? It's a big part of how I healed. After seeing over twenty specialists, and doctors and I still had no answers I took things into my own hands. I knew that I would be the one to heal my body. No one knew how bad I was really feeling on the inside, and I didn't really let anyone into those thoughts and feelings. I have trouble asking for help in areas that I know nothing about, or asking for help for projects, photos, production and business. What truly helps me is putting myself in another persons shoes. If someone where to come to me and ask for help I would help them out without a doubt. If they needed advice, wanted to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk health, healing and business I would do it in a heartbeat. People are willing to share, mentor and invest in you! First of all believe in yourself, and others will beyond a shadow of a doubt. Be authentic, and allow your story and true self to shine.
3. YOU CAN MAKE A LIVING BY DOING WHAT YOU LOVE - When you begin to doubt this, you will be paralyzed by fear. Even if you are in a job that you dislike and you are making a lot of money, you will never be happy. Where as if you are doing what you love, and I mean your true purpose and passion, you will not only be happy, but you will be successful and will make a living! I truly believe this. It might be a slow start as you are taking a huge risk, face uncertainty, no security and ultimately are your own inner motivator, and boss. But in the end the payoff will be worth every single moment. For me this is helping! Helping you, my community, the larger planet and our earth. I want to heal, support, and love other human beings through health, nutrition, making better choices and sharing my story. Be proud of who you are, and what you have to offer. Never sit back and wait for things, people and opportunities to come to you. If you want something go after it!
4. SELF LOVE - How are you investing in yourself? Are you constantly beating yourself down? How do you practice self love? I believe this is huge to moving forward and living your dreams. If you don't nurture your body, mind and soul it will be very hard to stay healthy and balanced through your journey. I know for me this encompasses a multitude of things, and isn't limited to: epsom salt baths with copious amounts of coconut oil and essential oils, working out at the crack of down, having Sundays off, taking care of my body through sweating, movement, using organic and natural products on my body, listening to music, drinking 3 liters of water a day, daily green juices, being gentle on myself, not eating late at night, helping others, spending time in nature, reading, talking to family, dates with friends, movie nights, traveling, just being with myself, and with my love! We can be doing nothing or everything and it's simply the best. Yours could be the same as mine, or could differ, but whatever they are find them, nurture them and flex your self love muscle!
5. PLAN, SET GOALS, PRIORITIZE, SET DEADLINES - If this is all in your head, or if you feel like you don't need to write it down it will never materialize! Visualization is incredible powerful, but if your constantly just dreaming, and not taking action and writing and planning things out it will never come to fruition. I've done this, and do this but I haven't been consistent. I get sidetracked, fearful, and thrown off. I tell myself it's ok because I don't want to put too much pressure on myself, as my health is number one. If I put too much pressure on myself, or have too strict of deadlines I'm not allowing things to happen organically, and my health might falter. Who am I kidding though, first of all organic farms take over three years is develop! Secondly, to get things done a certain amount of healthy pressure is needed, and is good! It's how you view it, and how you carry it out. Obviously I'm not someone who works well at night, so pulling all nighters, or having sleepless nights to barrel through deadlines is not realistic or healthy! Although it might work for some, I believe a more balanced approach to working hard is key. What to do: get a concrete planner that works for you ( I just ordered a passion planner, bye bye moleskin), get our a calendar and set goals and deadlines, reach out and ask others for help and accountability. Ultimately no one knows where and how to start, but it's the starting that is key!
6. DON'T BE AFRAID TO PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE - Believe in yourself and your story. Be proud of it. You can't shy away from photos (HELLO! This is me.), social media - it's a huge reality for business! If you aren't on it, using it daily than you will be left behind... it's simply the reality of our business world today. So start snapping, and sharing! Another note here is to make sure it's relevant to your business, life and future goals. If it's not inline with who you are, your believes and what you embody than people will find it hard to connect with you. Authenticity is everything! Be you. People will love you for you. It's already too easy to portray yourself, and your life as something else on social media as people usually only post the happy things (which is ok to do!). Just remember to be mindful of what your posting.
These are just a few of the things that I've been doing, thinking, putting into practice as I move through this new season! First of all, it is NEVER too late to start anything. Time and age is irrelevant. If you human, you have a story, the world needs to hear it, and you can do what you love. To complement this you have to WORK HARD for what you want. People won't come flocking to you, you have to put yourself out there, reach out, ask for help and put yourself in front of people. No one will know you exist if you aren't out there sharing, loving, giving and living.
To end this post I will leave you with this quote:
“Shift your focus away from what you want (side note: a billion dollars in their case, but maybe for you it's a million page views a month, a monthly income of X amount of dollars, X amount of books sold) and get deeply, intensely curious about what the world wants and needs. Ask yourself what you have the potential to offer that is so unique and compelling and helpful that no computer could replace you, no one could outsource you, no one could steal your product and make it better and then club you into oblivion (not literally). Then develop that potential. Choose one thing and become a master of it.4 Choose a second thing and become a master of that. When you become a master of two worlds (say, engineering and business), you can bring them together in a way that will a) introduce hot ideas to each other, so they can have idea sex and make idea babies that no one has seen before and b) create a competitive advantage because you can move between worlds, speak both languages, connect the tribes, mash the elements to spark fresh creative insight until you wake up with the epiphany that changes your life.” Elaine Musk – the ex-wife of Elon Musk (founder of PayPal and the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX)
HAPPY MONDAY BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!