OPTIMISM IS FOR EVERYONE.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. ―Winston Churchill
Are you a optimist? Do you see the best in ANY situation. Or do you think of yourself as a pessimist? I feel like too many people define themselves as a pessimist and feel that they can't change it...or even worse they do not want to change.
But I truly believe that optimism is not an inborn trait bestowed on a lucky few. It’s a skill that can be learned. Here are a few things that I think optimists do differently:
1. They make optimal use of all options available - they strive to see all the possibilities so they can find the best possible option among them. I like this little analogy I found:
So, when picking lemons off a lemon tree, an idealist endlessly reaches for the ripest looking lemon, a pessimist settles for whichever one is closest, while an optimist picks all the lemons in sight and makes lemonade.
2. They respect themselves for who they are - They stop asking for everyone else’s approval and simply do what they know in their heart feels right. They know who they are, and don't judge themselves against unrealistic standards set my others or society. They don't have time for judgment!
3. They disconnect happiness from achievement - Optimists disconnect achievement from happiness and give themselves permission to be happy, in each moment, without the need for anything more. This isn’t to say that they are complacent. They still set goals, work hard, help others, and grow, but they learn to indulge FULLY in the journey, not the destination. It is never where we want to be, it's what we learn along the way. I look back at my journey and I am nowhere near my destination but I am beyond happy along the way.
4. They avoid negative people and create positivity - life is way too amazing and short to waste time with people who don’t treat you right. Surround yourself with people who lift you up when you’re down, and then return the favor when you’re able!
5. They expect life to be a series of ups and downs - Prepare for the downs but capitalize on the ups – the former makes you sensible and the latter makes you an optimist! Nothing in life is perfect, nor is anyone perfect. Expect that people will hurt you, and situations won't always work out the way you want them to.
6.They use positive language and gestures - It’s not always what happens that determines your mood, but how you verbalize and express what happens that counts. Start speaking to yourself in a more positive way regardless of whether you succeed or fail, and you’ll gradually become more optimistic! SMILE - it will change your mood and the world around you. Never underestimate the power of a smile.
If you feel like you've been living on a pessimistic cloud I encourage you to see the beauty beneath it. Your thoughts create your reality, so each day make sure you are living a positive and love filled life. Not everyday will be perfect, but if you THINK it is, then I believe endless gifts will present themselves in ways you didn't think possible.
Have the most lovely start to your week. Be well.
love & light