HOLISTIC NUTRITION: MY 20 STAPLES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALING THE BODY + MIND
MY STAPLES TO HEALING
Healing is not only one my greatest passions (understatement, as I'm wildly obsessed) for my clients + the work that I do, but also for myself. After experiencing over a decade long healing journey with lyme disease, natural healing, studying nutrition formally, and working on my own body, and that of others, I've come to experience and bare witness to lots of things!
Amongst these themes, and patterns lie a lot of unrealistic expectations (we all want quick healing, but my own journey has taught + shown me that's not the case), hurdles, gaps - in body & mind, along with heaps of light, love, deep & intense break throughs. Because ultimately, your body wants you to live your most optimal life, in the healthiest body, as do I.
We often get lost along the way, lose touch with ourselves/bodies, wear our bodies down, treat it poorly, in still so much pressure + stress and don't know how to get back. We are never a victim in a situation, as we have to power to heal + make different choices. I firmly believe that. We are meant to go through our journey's no matter how difficult for a much larger reason. Everything is a gift, and teacher.
Here are some of my staples when it comes to healing the body + mind //
1. No healing is ever, ever, ever done in isolation. We must get in tune with our bodies, and our minds to heal. We simply can't expect an external fix, to an internal problem / symptom / disease.
2. Food is a huge factor, but it's not everything. You can eat broccoli, avocado, kale and sauerkraut for days, but if you haven't done inner foundational work, i.e. gut healing, you won't be able to absorb the nutrients necessary for not only basic survival, let alone deeper nourishment and for your body to thrive (I want you to thrive, not just survive).
3. Gut health is everything - When working with my beautiful clients, this is usually where we start.
4. Be your own Doctor. This was HUGE in my journey. I went six years undiagnosed, but knew in my gut something was wrong, and I wouldn't stop until I found out why I was feeling the way I was. You know your body best.
5. That being said, we can be so out of tune with our intuition, and what our body truly needs as we're met with a million different diets, lifestyles, supplements, superfoods... it's confusing out there (this is where I can guide / advise / support).
6. If a diet / lifestyle / working works for your BFF, partner, family member it doesn't mean it is right for your body, DNA, lifestyle, hormone state.
7. It's ok to not be OK. We are not meant to be perfect beings who are 100% all the time. We all go through ups, and downs, that is the journey of it all. When we embrace our valley's, just as much as we celebrate our victories, I believe we're able to get deeper, sustainable and more beautiful healing.
8. Your _______ (disease, illness, symptom, disorder, pain, relationship) is meant to be your teacher. It's telling you something has to shift in body, mind & spirit. It's here to teach you something, it's not bad, evil or out to get you.
9. Your body is MADE to heal. It's literally all it wants to do. We simply get disconnected, aren't the best to it (in body & mind), and quite simply don't know what it's trying to tell us.
10. Your bodies language is symptoms. It speaks to us, but are you listening?
11. STRESS is the umbrella for almost every ailment, disease, symptom, imbalance, and it's the one thing that will prevent us from achieving optimal health, that, and your mind. If we don't tackle this umbrella, it doesn't matter what we do underneath it.
12. Don't take NO for an answer. Questions, ask, forge your own path... your healing journey will look different from someone else's.
13. Don't compare where you are, to where someone else is - This will cause stagnation in body + mind.
14. Supplements are amazing, and I use them both for myself + in my practice, but I use them to supp-lement the most nutrient dense diet, as food will forever and always be our life force. Think back to our primal selves, they didn't have pills and potions. The next best + biggest superfood won't be the magic healing elixir.
15. TRUST that your healing journey will take time, sometimes LOTS of time. This is very hard to face, but without patience, it's very easy to lose sight of the bigger goals, picture, and sustainability of it all. Quick fixes are never, ever, ever sustainable, and can do more damage. If someone where to tell me my healing journey would span over a decade, I would have been gob-smacked, but it was & is my truth, and I've embraced it whole-heartedly and wouldn't want it any other way.
16. Your health will be your greatest investment. Ever. If we aren't healthy we can't work, be in a healthy relationship, excel, create & live in abundance (physical & mental), travel and live our dream life. Money is energy, and when we invest it in our health, we are gifted in ways we couldn't ever imagine.
17. What you think is a physical block / symptom could be a mental / emotional black that stems from childhood where you picked up limiting beliefs / blocks / unhealthy habits / patterns. To heal, we must dig deep, and rewire to help with the physical pain.
18. No journey is walked alone. Back to the healing is never done in isolation... another big one for me, as I was very lonely on my journey. Not because I didn't have people around me, but I chose isolation a lot. I also never connected to any practitioners along my journey, and felt as if I was fighting for myself and my health on the daily. It's why I do what I do today! Everyone deserves to heal, be happy & live their optimal life, and to have the love, support, guidance and undivided attention from a practitioner. It's why I pride myself on my love + care of my clients. They mean the world to me.
19. Labels are just that, labels. Don't let anything define you. You don't have to put yourself in any box. Through my journey I've tried it all. Vegan (for 8 years), raw vegan, fruitarian, paleo, macrobiotic, raw till 4, 80/10/10, and the list goes on! For so long, I needed something to hold on to. It wasn't until I let go of labels, found out what works best for me ( food wise, but also healing my mind) that I was able to truly, truly, truly heal. I now eat an abundance of organic plants, adore healthy fats that are suited to my body type/ lifestyle, discovered my allergies / intolerances, drink organic bone broth, eat wild fish + lean protein when my body asks for it (I buy local + organic), drink heaps of liquids, meditate, tune into what my body needs when and why, and sync it with my cycle. I'm not anything, but myself. It hasn't been easy, and it's a daily practice ( I tell all my clients, no healing journey is easy), but it's been worth every single second.
20. SELF- LOVE + WORTH - Without both of these, you won't see yourself worthy of healing, and you will continually be met with brick walls. Loving yourself first and foremost before others is 1) not selfish at all, 2) Required to heal
*21. BONUS - Skin is an inside job. Beautiful skin is a balance between working with food, lifestyle, stress, hormones, gut health, supplements specific to you, topical treatments (what you put on your skin is 20% of the equation), happiness (you can see the glow of happy people), sleep, digging up blocks, healing in unison with body and mind. My skin took a good 4 years to heal, and only really started to heal, heal this past year. Again, no quick fix or solution! But sustainable healing.
There are so, so, so many more, but these are the ones that came to me, and flowed out of my mind + finger tips to you.
Once you're able to truly recognize your gifts, light and power that you have within you, you will become truly unstoppable.
If you're looking to delve deeper into your body, mind and soul, while using nutrition, food as medicine, advisory into your true innate self, and to take your healing to the next level, I would love to be there for you, and look forward to connecting over a session. I know this time can be very difficult to navigate, and I would be so honoured to be here for you. Ultimately we work with your bodies innate healing tools, and you're guided to a optimal state of existence, in body and mind.
If you're uncertain what I'm about, you can see my book here! It's a intro into who I am, my healing journey, and how I practice.